Thursday 4 May 2017

Another day closer.

I worked all day on the library room box. At this point I would like everyone to do me a favour and forget what I said yesterday about what I was planning on accomplishing today.

I did get the rest of the sidewalk laid. I did get two coats of polyurethane on it to make it easier to wipe off the grout once it's applied. I did not get the grouting done because I have to let the second coat of finish dry until tomorrow. Grouting is first on my list in the morning.

I mentioned yesterday that I had sponged the sides of the base to make them look a little like concrete. I haven't yet dry brushed the white over top but hope to do that tomorrow. It'll tone it down and "belnd" it better, I think. This is what it looks like right now.


I did get the lighting all installed - the coach light by the door, the street lamp on the corner of the sidewalk, and the strip lighting inside to provide plenty of light for viewing. I have the street lamp taped up in place because I have to lay it down to do the grouting under it tomorrow.

You can also see that I have gotten started on the signage on the front. I definitely have to finish that tomorrow.


The rest of these pictures show that I have done some work on the wainscoting on the inside walls. I have installed a bookcase as well. I also sealed the wood floor but you can't see it in these pictures. I sat a little replica of one of my darling kitties, who is no longer with us, on the window sill. I think I may just leave her curled up in the window. Shouldn't every library have a resident kitty??


I hope you like the picture I've chosen for the back, removable wall. I really like the visual depth it gives to the room box which is really only 4 or 5 inches deep inside.


This next picture shows a view of the little bench I placed on the side of the library. I originally planned to have my battery pack inside this little structure but, once I finished adding lights I had two battery packs so had the base built to house both of them, and add some viewing height to the roombox itself.


Here you can see that I actually did get some of the interior wainscoting done. You can also see the finish on the floor.


So -- a full day's work doesn't seem to have accomplished much, does it?? To end the day, I started trying to make a very narrow librarian's desk for the front of the library. It was already closing on 10:00 pm and I should have known better. I finished the first version, thinking it was ready to paint, but when I stood it up I couldn't believe how completely wonky it was. I was sure I had squared everything up. Apparently I was wrong - big time!!! On to attempt number two. I got that one completely finished then realized I had covered over the little section where the library patrons would interact with the librarian. Attempt number three??? I don't think so! It's definitely time to quit and go to bed when you start making that many mistakes. Tomorrow is a new day.

By the way, I'm not worried about not having it finished for Saturday's show because Jodi Hippler suggested a great solution -- just hang a sign in the window that says "Opening Soon!". I love it!! What a great idea.

So, I'm off to bed with visions of lots more work ahead of me tomorrow. TTFN!! - Marilyn








4 comments:

  1. There are just so many things to love about this project! I love the way the wainscoting leads you right in to the photo - It adds a depth that draws you right in! The floor turned out so rich and lovely! Not bad for dollar store stain! And I love the tone of it with the wonderful blue walls.

    I think you got a giant amount done today! The lighting alone is no small job! The street light is so charming and really helps set the stage for the wonderful little shop. I would expect lots of compliments this weekend! And, I am glad to have inspired the Opening Soon sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jodi. The interesting thing about the floor is that I used the darkest stain on another piece of wood without the other two colours under it - what a difference! Not only did I not like the colour on its own, but the depth and richness of colour was missing. Good to see for myself how much depth is created by layering the stains.

    Thanks again for the sign idea. I'll put one in the window and hang one inside across the entry to the main part of the library (the picture) to hide the two people seated in chairs since, if the library isn't open yet, they shouldn't be there! I'm such a literal person!. - Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You accomplished such a lot in one day...just to get the lighting done is a huge job in my book! Love the little streetlight outside and just know that it will light the way for interested passersby to meander into the memorial library for a browse for the perfect book to sign out. The background photo does add a nice depth to the room box's shallow dimensions and tricks the eye to thinking there is much more to the room than there is. Layering the stains on the floor gives a richness to the colour and it's a trick I will use in the future. Lovely!! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Library is really progressing and each little thing you've done has made a BIG difference Marilyn!
    Have to say that your prospective backdrop is IDEAL and no matter IF you don't finish your library in time for the show, your display will NOT look empty, because of all of the activity in the print.... Good thinking! ;P

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete