Tuesday 26 March 2019

Underestimated once again!

Sorry - I really did think we would be finishing up the Remembrance Day/WWI bunker room box on Sunday. We had a great time but no, we did not get it finished. Marijke, Louise and I did work hard at finishing the bits and pieces but there's always more to do! We did have a nice visit from my daughter Shauna and a friend of hers who is the curator of the Military Engineers Museum at CFB Gagetown. Sandra was able to provide lots of good advice and direction when it came to historic details like the crest that would have been on our veteran's blazer, items that would have been found in the bunker, general terrain, etc.

We did a lot of prep work to get ready for making the poppy field and placing the items inside the bunker, talked a lot, ate some cheese, crackers, grapes and cake, and generally had a great afternoon. At some point at the end of the afternoon, somehow the subject of fascinators came up - I have no idea why or how. Anyway - I immediately went to my closet and brought out fascinators for each of us and my darling grandson took out picture. Aren't we just silly!


Since Sunday I have done a little more work. I glued some of the items into the inside of the bunker.






I added a few more details to the outside entrance area, such as bits of moss, extra sand and rocks, and Marijke added a few tufts of dying grass.




And then prepared the upper field which will be completed by the group on Wednesday (I hope and pray!!)






All in all, I truly believe that we can finish it off tomorrow by "planting" the poppies and wild flowers and adding our veteran to complete the picture. Fingers crossed for us, please! I'm ready to move on now *smile*. Until next time - TTFN!!! - Marilyn

8 comments:

  1. Hello Marilyn,
    What a fun group of ladies! IU think a little break like that is necessary every once in a while, and how great that you had the input of your daughter's friend. The bunker is coming along so beautifully!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! Almost done, thank heaven! It's spring time now so I have a hankering to make flowers. Time for a mini garden scene, I think. Just over a week until I get my "Giac fix". None too soon - I've been going into withdrawal!! Hugs - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. I think it looks great so far! And that's really cool that you got some input on the historical accuracy. It all contributes the the entire effect.

    I really love all the details. And you ladies are so much fun in your fascinators!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. The only thing more fun than working on minis is working on minis with a group of friends. You get a lot less done but the fun is multiplied exponentially! Cheers. - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. It's coming together so marvelously and has been so enjoyable to follow! You all look like a fun group of ladies with a wealth of talent amongst you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Jodi. Certainly the ladies I have the good fortune of working with are very talented. I'm still a work in progress. *smile* - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Looks like a fun group! I love the way your scene is turning out. You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilyn, I love how the project is coming along. Will be so excited to see the finished project.
    And you all look great in the fascinators!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete