Friday 21 February 2020

Time to put my big girl panties on....

...and finish what I started!!!

And, oh, that list is long. With the limited time I have to work on minis, and the fact that I am so easily distracted, I took the time this week to step back and come up with a plan, which should last at least as long as it takes before another squirrel runs into my sight-line or a butterfly flits past me. But, I promise - I will try.

I am desperately wanting to start work on my "North Pole Postal Service" project that I have been thinking of for a few years now but I have made a decision - I cannot start a new project until I clear up the many I have partially completed. Whenever I start a new project I go full tilt for a short while then something else take my attention and I'm off. This has got to stop!

So - I am going to work my way backwards and finish some things. But, of course, I know I will need to take short detours throughout so I can keep my enthusiasm up.

I will be concentrating on two of my old projects for the time being and insert some little real-life inspired minis in between. The two last projects I had started and not finished are up first:

Dorothy's Corner: Hopefully you remember this little project from last spring. I named it Dorothy's Corner after the poet, Dorothy Frances Gurney, whose poem "God's Garden" is the source of the lines seen on many garden signs and plaques "...One is nearer God's heart in a garden, than any place else on earth..." I even placed a copy of her poem on the arm of the garden chair and the famous lines in a wall plaque above the bird bath.

Well, here it still sits, almost fully complete. Almost is the operative word here. So, to finish this project here is what I will be reporting progress on until it is done:

1. fill the bottom of the hanging basket with moss so the fern isn't "floating" in the basket (easy peasey)


2. paint the handle of the faucet a brighter colour so it doesn't blend into the wall (super easy peasey)
3. add water to the bucket and water and birds to the bird bath (takes a little longer because I will have to make the birds, paint the birds; mix the resin for the water, wipe up the spilled resin...you know how it goes)


4. FINISH the d**n hydrangea tree!!! Honestly, I don't mind doing it, it just takes so long for each flower head, then I will have to paint the flower heads, cut and glue on all the leaves, "plant" it in place.. (not so easy peasey - okay, easy but time consuming) Here is the spot where the tree will go and below that is the tree in place with more than half of the flower heads done (the pink cones are the base to which I am gluing 70 to 80 tiny white flower cut outs for each bud).



I will let you know how it goes.

The second project I have chosen to concentrate on is the "kitchen n a cupboard" from last year's Camp Mini Ha Ha. I have lots to do to finish that one before Camp rolls around again in September. I have the main body done (in the picture below it doesn't show the decorative stained top and bottom of the cabinet). I have 2 coats of paint on the cupboards for the inside but I now think I will remove the bottom right cupboard and the slider next to it and replace them with a little stove and cook top. I am planning on putting the cupboard on a base and turning the whole little scene into a shop that makes and sells honey products. In keeping with the honeybee theme, I am toying with what I will name it. I had thought perhaps I would call it "The Honey Pot" but my mini friends loudly nixed that idea - I wonder why???? So - maybe "The Bees' Knees"??? Anyone got any ideas??


For this project then, I have to:

1. finish the honeycomb floor (easy peasey - only the edges left to make)
2. remove the cupboard and build in a stove instead (getting harder)
3. Install all cupboards
4. finish running wiring for the lights in the cupboards
5. install counter top and backsplash
6. install faucets
7. Make all of the honey products that the shop will be selling
8. make shelves and accessories

Okay, a much longer list with this one but I am determined! Again, I will keep you updated.

And finally, to keep my mini spirits up - I am pining for spring in this frozen tundra known as the Atlantic coast of Canada so I have been looking at all kinds of spring decor items (real life size) to decorate my real house with. I may just pick one from time to time and miniaturize it to make me feel closer to the day when the warm spring air starts flowing again.

Until next Friday - when I will be posting from the Southern coast of Ireland - have a great week! TTFN! - Marilyn

6 comments:

  1. Slow and steady. You've got your lists. So you'll get it all done. I have confidence in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sheila for your faith in me. Now I just to cultivate some of that myself! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. So proud of you that you have a plan. Wish I did. Marilyn, I had projects that go back 20 years! More power to you.
    Hugs, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maureen. Although I think it might be a bit premature to congratulate me on it yet - as they say "a plan is just a plan". I sure do hope I can stick to this one! You know how it is - there's always one more exciting project idea just lying in wait to tempt us away from our "plan". But, by letting everyone else in on my "plan" I hope it will hold me to be more responsible in carrying it out! Bug hugs back at you, Maureen!

      Delete
  3. Oh Marilyn I can so relate to being on fire for a project only to have my enthusiasm fizzle as I near the end. I don't dare ask my psychologist aunt why I do it for fear I won't be able to face the answer, lol! It is good that you made a goal to finish off these two projects as they are so much fun and will be a source of enjoyment for all who view them! Good luck and have fun in Ireland!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! Just got back at 3 am this morning - of course in Ireland time it felt like 7 am after being up all night so am relaxing right now. Then - it's back to minis! Thank you so much for your encouragement - we all need it sometimes to stay on track! Cheers. - Marilyn

      Delete