I know I've been absent for several weeks but I haven't been completely idle. First of all, thank you to all of you bloggers who aren't as negligent as I am - I have been enjoying reading your posts, for sure.
First, for those of you who aren't aware, after the Montreal show had to be cancelled ( I am SO disappointed!) I had a few emails back and forth between myself and Bev Lunn and Michèle Castonguay of the Montreal Club. I mentioned that one of the things I was going to miss the most because of the forced cancellation was the exhibits from their club members. As a result - we all get to see them. Michèle has provided a "virtual exhibit room" on the website for the Miniature Enthusiasts of Montreal where we can get all get a chance to see examples of the fabulous work done by many of their members. Be sure to pay a visit - such great projects and so inspirational.
So, I have spent my "isolation time" trolling through other people's blogs like Elizabeth's at Studio E, Jodi's at My Miniature Madness, Marijke's at Pulchinella's Cellar...okay, too many to mention you all individually but I just want to say, thank you for the joy and inspiration you have all provided with your posts. Incredible work is being done by very talented people.
As for me, the 15th of March was my friend, Louise's birthday. She had mentioned a few times that she would like to try making miniature wicker furniture. So - I gave her a kit for her birthday and one for myself. Then, with the covid-19 isolation rules, we set a date and time for a Skype call and worked on our chairs together. We both really miss our regular Wednesday mini meeting times but this virtual option was way better than nothing! Here is the chair I was working on.
I used this kit from Barbara Richmond:
It came with a pre-drilled base and pre-cut wires as well as waxed linen thread for weaving. Some kits have larger wire for the 4 corners and smaller for the ones between. This one required you to use 4 wires together in each corner then the single ones for the in between ones. It's important to note that the holes on the corners are, of course, larger and that the back and two sides are drilled all the way through while the holes for the front are drilled partly into the bottom - not all the way through.
I followed instructions to a "T" - not one of my usual strong points as we all know but I thought it might be important for my first wicker project. Turns out I was right. *smile*
I started by weaving the upper level first, regular weaving to start then followed a different pattern for a few rows for a decorative accent. At that point the wires on the sides were to be bent to almost a 90 degree angle, gradually straightening toward the back, and the weaving continued.
When I finished enough rows for the upper part of the chair, I followed the instructions for the lower section, matching the decorative section under the seat as well. To finish off the legs, I added a few wraps to the bottom which were not mentioned in the instructions. Any wicker furniture I have ever owned always had a little "bulbous" wrap to end the legs so I took the liberty of mimicking them. I then cut off the extra wire and made a braid to go around the upper and lower edges to hide the wires and make a more finished look. I made a double braid to go around the edge of the wooden seat.
Now, the kit came with a fabric, already pre-cut for the seat cushion. However, it was a flowery blue which just wasn't my style. I dug out an old silk tie that my husband had thrown away (I have no idea how it could have ended up in my fabric stash) *grin*. It had a dark blue background but had all these really neat squares and rectangles with really attractive designs on them.
Much better! The original blue fabric is next to the finished chair. I really like how it turned out in the end and, with such easy instructions I can see myself doing more wicker furniture in the future. It was really fun.
So, speaking of fun, I was also thinking about a real-life spring arrangement I had seen online and decided I wanted to try to make a mini one. I didn't have any real measurements so just used my usual "fly by the seat of my pants" technique. I cut two ends, a bottom and two sides for the container. I first folded a piece of paper in half to draw out the shape for the ends because I wanted to make sure they were symmetrical and the same size.
Then I put the container together and used some "dirty water" to make it look a little aged. Using a really cheap white facecloth (the thinner, the better), I covered a medium sized bead with glue and stretched a small piece of the terrycloth from the facecloth around the bead. I took a small bit of cotton batten and rolled it with a little glue to form a tiny white puffy ball and glued it to the covered bead. Then I cut two tiny shapes from thin white felt and put three pink dots for toe pads and one for the main foot pad on each little felt foot and glued the little feet on either side of the little bunny butt.
I put a small amount of floral foam in the bottom of the container, glued in the bunny butt and tiny bits and bobs of floral material and Easter eggs I had lying around. I just adore how it turned out. I think I'll make more of these because they are just so cute! I know, I know, we're not supposed to use the word "cute" to describe our minis but hey, I calls 'em how I sees 'em!!!
Here are my two little projects together. I am happy with both of them.
But, if you'd like to see something bigger...I actually have accomplished something else you might be interested in. Of course, you will have to wait a few days for my next post to see! In the meantime - stay safe, stay healthy, work on minis!! TTFN - Marilyn