Friday 2 April 2021

Trash to Treasure Final Reveal - At long last!

 Finally I get to keep one of my promises!  I was busy with other thing yesterday, as I mentioned in the last post, so I set the time aside today to finish my T2T project.  Before I carry on from where we left off on Wednesday, I will repeat the list of 35 items from which I had to choose a minimum of 25 so you can keep an eye out for them as we go through the pictures (plus, I changed my mind and exchanged two items from the list on Wednesday because I couldn't make the darn feathers work!)  Here is the revised list:

1. 4 feathers  - did not use

2. 10 Beads - 6 for the door handles, 2 as decoration in the door pediment, one in the pedestal for the bird bath, and one to make a teapot.

3. 3 cotton balls - I used 1 to provide volume inside the chair seat and back.

4. 10" sq wrapping paper -  did not use

5. Eraser - made a double bird house

6. 5 stir sticks, popsicle sticks or tongue depressors - used long tongue depressors for balcony railing

7. Small box (no side longer than 3") - used top for the frame of the shelf unit and bottom for the shelves

8. 2 stickers - used to look like buckles on the yoga mat

9. 4 bottle caps (any size) - used 1 for the bird bath and 3 for the chair-side table

10. Greeting card - used a small portion of the plain back of a card to make the tea cup and part of the cover for the teapot

11. 6" fun foam sheet - used for the yoga mat and a small birdhouse in the shelving unit.  Used small strips as frame around the mirror/tray (painted it black), used around base of birdbath

12. 6" Felt square - used a small piece for a cushion

13. 6 Toothpicks - used the tops of 2 decorative toothpicks for the drawer handles in the side table and as part of the teapot cover.  Used lower parts for stems for the flowers.  Used 2 others as handles for the garden tools.

14. 2 sheets of paper (8.5 x 11) - used one for the French doors and one for the apartment interior.  I printed a box of fertilizer and some seed packets and leaves to the side of the apartment picture since it didn't take up the whole sheet of paper

15. 1 full sheet of cardstock (any colour) - I used a dark green cut into strips as "siding" on the balcony walls.  Yes, I am aware that this type of siding would be very unusual for downtown Paris but - you work with what you have!

16. 4 Q Tips - used the sticks to support the acetate panels of the balcony railing

17. 3 Thumb Tacks or Push Pins (any type) - used wooden push pins as part of the pedestal for the bird bath.  Used two of the pins I pulled out as perches in the double birdhouse.

18. 6" length of ribbon or lace - used a narrow suede trim as straps around the yoga mat.

19. 2 Toothpaste caps (or any toiletry lid) - top from lip balm: plant pot in shelf unit

20. Small mirror (under 2") - used as a tray for the teapot and cup

21. Tea Bag or coffee grounds - soil in planter and in garden

22. 6" Sq fabric (any print or solid) - penelope cloth for the faux "rattan" chair

 23. 2 Paper or binder clips (any size/type) - used white coated paper clip for the door handles and the teapot handle and spout. Used regular metal paper clip to make tines for the garden cultivator

24. 6 Straight Pins - since I didn't have any floral wire in this list, I cut the straight pins in half to use as stems for the caladium plants in the garden

25. A Napkin/paper towel - used instead of fabric on the seat and back cushions for the chair

26. 2 Straws - used paper straws as uprights for the balcony railing

27. 2 Pipe cleaners - used for the celosia flowers in the plant pot and for the accent tree in the garden

28. 1 Styrofoam or paper 8 oz cup - used to make the barrel chair

29. 1 Lid from yogurt/sour cream container - used to contain the balcony garden

30. 2 nut shells (pistachio, walnut, peanut) - did not use

31. Aluminum foil 2-inch square - used to make the garden trowel

32. 6-inch square of sandpaper - cut into blocks for the wall on either side of the French doors

33. 1 Egg carton - covered the frame around the French doors, used as patio stones, used as a book cover and made flower pots.

34. 6-inch square of foam core - used to build up pediment and door trim, small piece inside book 

35. 5 sequins - used one as part of the top to the teapot.

Bonus supply from stash - piece of acetate for the "glass" in the French doors and in the balcony railing.  Also small piece to simulate water in the birdbath.  So - I used 32 of the 35 items, plus my bonus item.  Here are the rest of the pictures:

I think I mentioned on Wednesday that I used the top of my small box as a framework for a hanging shelf unit, and the bottom of the box for the shelves.  You will see it finished as we move out to the balcony.



On the apartment side, I have added the final touch of paint to the sandpaper blocks of stone.  I am actually quite happy with how these French doors and the whole wall turned out.  I think my daughter will like it (She is getting this box as a gift for something to display in her office).


Stepping out of these doors, we have access to a comfortable little balcony where our little resident can relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of downtown Paris.

On the left wall is the shelving unit.  It is easy to see she is into gardening, even though she hasn't much room.  The book on the shelf, "Gardens Galore", provides her with lots of inspiration for her tiny balcony garden.  She has plenty of extra pots, a small box of fertilizer, some packets of seeds, and a couple of hand tools.

I used the ends of two decorative toothpicks for the handles of the garden tools, pieces of a regular paper clip for the tines of the hand cultivator, and for the garden trowel, I folded the 2" square of tinfoil several times to make it thick enough, then cut it into the shape for the trowel.  The little celosia plant on the top of the cabinet is made with a small piece of toothpick, some yellow/orange pipe cleaner, and paper leaves and is "planted" in the top of a lip balm stick filled with glue and topped with a blend of dried tea and coffee grounds.  I also made another wee birdhouse with a tiny leftover piece of fun foam because I wanted to be able to bring the yellow into a few different areas of the scene.


On the right hand wall is the larger birdhouse - built for two feathered families.


Under the shelf unit, our Parisian apartment owner has a comfy little barrel chair (made with a Styrofoam cup. some penelope cloth covering, cushions stuffed with parts of a cotton ball and covered in the top layer of a paper napkin).  She also has a small cushion made from felt for a little extra comfort.  I see she has her teacup and teapot ready to go - but the cup is empty.  Has she just finished a little tea break or is she just starting?  The teapot is made from a metal bead painted yellow, with small pieces from a white vinyl-coated paper clip for a handle and spout, and a circle cut from the back of a greeting card and topped with a yellow-painted sequin and the tip of a decorative toothpick as the top.  The cup is a small piece cut from one of my paper drinking straws and the handle is a tiny scrap of heavy card sliced from the leftovers of the box used for the shelving unit.  The tray is a small mirror framed with a teeny strip of fun foam, painted black.

Next to the chair we have the side table made from 3 bottle caps and  pieces of decorative toothpicks for the drawer handles.

You can see the Paris street scene through the "glass" panels of the modern railing I made from slices of paper drinking straw, 1/4" wide strips of tongue depressors and pieces of Q-tips.  I love the traditional iron railings you would normally see on a Paris balcony but thought they would block the street scene so opted for modern.  (okay, truth be told - I was too lazy to try to figure out how to make an ornate one given the limitation we had with materials!)


In the tiny balcony garden, our owner has managed to fit in a birdbath - made with the top of an Advil bottle, a bead, 3 wooden push pins (pins removed and used for birdhouse perches), and a base of foam cord wrapped in fun foam.  I see we must be getting into fall as there is a fallen maple leaf floating in the bird bath.


Also in the wee garden is a small decorative tree (made with a fluffy pipe cleaner coiled into a tree shape then, using my fingers dipped in clear gel glue, I spiked the fluff to make it look more like an evergreen tree and less like a cone of green fluff.  Below the birdbath are a couple of caladium plants.  I printed the leaves on the space left over beside the picture of the apartment interior and used pieces of straight pins in place of floral wire to stick them in small pieces of foam core covered in tea/coffee grounds.
 

And so, dear friends, I thank you for your patience as we near the end of the Trash to Treasure Challenge.  I am sure Maureen H. from Edmonton will give us an update on her blog (St. Albert Mini) of her club's official entries once they are all revealed after April 6th.  Marijke, Louise and I did the challenge just for the fun of it since we are not part of Maureen's club - being as how we are on opposite sides of the country from each other! *smile*

Here are some overview pictures of my project:



I now have my answer about the empty tea cup - she has just finished her little break and now she has gathered up her yoga mat and is about to head out to get some exercise.



And so, dear friends we close the book on my Trash to Treasure Challenge.  


Since you have heard from me three times this week, I will be skipping my regular Tuesday night posting this coming week.  When you next hear from me, on Tuesday, April 13th, I will hopefully be getting close to the end of the North Pole Postal Service. Until then, have a wonderful Easter and stay safe and healthy!  Big hugs to all of you. TTFN!! - Marilyn

26 comments:

  1. A standing ovation! It's absolutely amazing what you managed to create from a few insignificant items. I love the bird-bath.
    Happy Easter!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora. Yes, the birdbath is actually one of my favourites as well. I couldn't resist floating a dead leaf on top of the acetate "water". Have a wonderful Easter as well. Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. oh Marilyn it's fabulous. To think you have created this little masterpiece from items that would be thrown away. I love the view into the apartment, the balcony, the chair, the birdbath, it's all utterly charming, well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Polly for such kind words. I feel like I will try to do a T2T project again some time to make me stretch my creative thoughts outside the box they have grown used to. Hope you are having a great Easter weekend. - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Me encanta como ha quedado el libro. Una bonita composición.
    Tu hija se va a poner muy contenta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eso espero, Isabel. Ella estuvo muy interesada durante la construcción, así que espero que le guste el resultado final. También será algo lo suficientemente pequeño como para que ella se siente en una estantería para que no tenga que preocuparse por dónde ponerlo. ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Oh Marilyn your idea to turn this book into a balcony was truly inspired! There are so many clever uses of materials in this project that the "aha" moments must have come in a steady stream! I love the way the door and stone frame turned out, too, and I hope you'll use the idea again in a future project when you can use all the materials you can get your hands on! Your layered trim idea for the doors would be so magical with wood! The railing and the side table are quite clever, and you know I love the chair! The best part is that you will be giving it to your daughter to display and enjoy! She's going to get a kick out of all the treasures you created from trash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi. I have to admit I have come to appreciate egg carton again. It's been a long time since I used it for anything but, with this project, I have rediscovered just how useful it can be! Happy Easter, Jodi! I can hardly wait to see Tasha's beautiful kitchen all accessorized! - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. I love the way you have recycled or used materials in this trash to treasure -project. The idea to start from a book is very good, indeed.
    - Sirkka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sirkka. Yes, once I found the container to put my T2T scene in, the whole theme took place in my head. It was certainly a challenge to make it look reasonably good with just the materials we were allowed. Enjoy your Easter Sunday with good food, good company and good times! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. Ha quedado una escena fantástica, me encanta !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Eloisa, qué cosa tan dulce para decir. Me alegro de que te guste. Fue divertido descubrir qué podía hacer con todas estas pequeñas cosas que bien podríamos haber tirado. ¡Ahora para terminar algunos otros proyectos! Feliz Domingo de Resurrección. - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Que maravillosa escena has creado Marilyn! Es impresionante la belleza en la que se pueden convertir pequeños objetos que vistos por separado no creerías que sirven para nada! Un derroche de imaginación y de buen hacer, enhorabuena!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, Pilar. Este proyecto me ha dado una nueva apreciación por todas esas pequeñas cosas que creemos que son inútiles y que normalmente tiramos. ¿Quizás una metáfora de otras cosas en nuestras vidas? ¡Que tengas una buena semana! - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. You are very clever and creative, I love the final result, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alexandra. AS I mentioned to Pilar, this project has given me a better appreciation of the little things we often just throw away even though they could be used for something else which is, perhaps, a metaphor for other things in our lives. Something to make me think about, for sure. Hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. Oh my, I'm late this time and I even missed the post before... but now I'm here to say: WOW!!! This was an amazing project which proves so well how much potential is in every-day-stuff... if only we open our eyes - and bring some talent along with us. You have for sure a lot of talent because you've created the most stunning and beautiful scene out of simple materials. And I really love how you've used this special box turning the motif of the Eiffel tower into the view from a balcony - brilliant.

    Happy Easter for the rest of it (here in Germany Easter Monday is an official holiday) and hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit, Here in Canada Easter Monday is a holiday for most government workers and schools but for everyone else it is business as usual.

      Thank you so much for such kind words about this project. It was fun to force myself to use only "allowed" items. It really made me put my thinking cap on. I look forward to seeing what the members of Maureen's mini club come up with. Have a great week! - Marilyn

      Delete
  10. Wow,well done.Love what you did with the french lillie button/beads,the teapot looks so good,love the double birdhouse,the beautifully done chair etc etc.....All great lessons to us all the watch what we're throwing out.
    take care,
    trineke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Trineke, this challenge took me back to my first efforts of making minis when I used whatever I had on hand. It's nice to be reminded from time to time that there are lots of things you can do without spending a lot of money! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  11. Yeay, Marilyn! It turned out just as you had hoped, and I'm sure your daughter will be pleased with it. I can just see her pulling it out to show off to visitors to her library. Perhaps we might start a trend out there, as this is the second mini piece for the building....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marijke - you and I donated our World War I Remembrance Day project to the Engineering museum there. Between that project and this one that will be going to the library there, perhaps we can encourage others to give minis a try! They'll never regret it! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  12. Oh very well done! I love the little story and I'm impressed with what you managed to achieve with a list of such diverse items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan. I was surprised at just what could be accomplished if I really put my thinking cap on. It was a good exercise in going back to the basics. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  13. This looks great! I like how the stones look too. I have always wanted to have a book roombox. I am actually new with trying to make things.
    Mini huggs,
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Conny! Making things is my favourite part of every project! I love trying to figure out how to get something to look like what I have in my imagination. I find it so much more rewarding than buying everything - unless I find a special item that is calling my name! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete