Tuesday 1 June 2021

I've been missing - not in action!

 It's been a few weeks since I have been able to post, or even to check out all of your wonderful blogs.  At first it was because of other commitments.  The person who I was finally able to pass over the editorship of the Irish Association's newsmagazine, after 10 years of doing it myself, was unfortunately unable to continue with it after putting out three issues.  She still works full time, has two college students living and studying at home, and is taking courses herself towards her Professional Project Management certification so I do understand.  The main problem was that I got it back at the beginning of May and had a print scheduled for May 24th and only 3 articles and a couple of reports that came along with it.  It was then a scramble to find enough material to fill the 48 pages, do the setup and quality control and get it to the printer on time.  So - that kept me away from anything that was not focussed on that work.  Then, a few days before the May 24th deadline, I started to feel ill.  By the day before I was very ill.  By the time I sent it to the printer the next day I was deathly ill.  For 4 days I was completely down and out.  I still didn't eat a thing for another couple of days after that.  I was surviving on Gatorade to try to keep my electrolytes up.  I am still trying to recover.  I find I'm a little weak and not my best when I get up in the morning but by noon I am actually feeling pretty good.  That lasts for a few hours then I have to go for a nap.  Then I'm good for another couple of hours, then things go downhill in the evening and I am forced to go to bed pretty early some nights.  Every day is a little better so I hope I will be 100% soon.

I am so looking forward to going online and catching up with all of your wonderful blogs but please forgive me as it may take a while.

But, in the middle of all this - while I was working hard on the newsmagazine but before I got sick, I had a birthday.  I had a wonderful day because my work kept getting interrupted.  Yay!!!

First, my sister arrived with a lovely birthday card to start my day.  Then, a little later, my dear friend, Louise, arrived with this wonderful birthday present which will find a home in one of my North Pole projects:


Isn't it absolutely perfect?  Don't forget you can click on a picture to enlarge it.  Louise had a friend of ours from Alberta, Aleeta K., who makes wonderful dogs, cats, and other animals, not to mention luggage, and other leather goods, to make the husky dog for her.  Then Louise built the sleigh herself based on a picture of a real life one she saw online.  She cut up an old cashmere scarf and used her printer on it to get the stripes of the Hudson's Bay blanket.  Then she wrapped all those tiny packages.  What an incredibly thoughtful and beautiful gift!  Thank you so much Louise (and Aleeta too, of course!)

Here are some more pics:







After being back to work on the newsmagazine for a little while after Louise's visit, my daughter arrived with a gift from her, my grandson and son-in-law.  I had hinted that I was running out of my favourite dish cloths - her hand-knitted ones, so she brought me 4 new ones which she had sewn together to hide yet another present - something else I had wanted for a long time:


I love these dish cloths.  I don't think I will ever go back to store bought ones.  And that little iron?  It is going to come in very useful when making clothes for the elves.

Well, my apologies, I had wanted to show you the inside of the tiny shepherd's hut because I did get the inside done before everything got on top of me.  Unfortunately I am starting to feel quite bad again, given the time of day and must cut this short for today and get to bed.  I will be back regularly on Tuesday nights I hope because, surely, I will be getting a bit stronger every day.  Next posting I will show the little hut, and also a few things I received in my recent order from my friend, Liz, at Grandpa's Dollhouse.  And, God willing - progress on the landscaping for the Post Office.  Until then, please stay safe and healthy and keep mini-ing! - TTFN - Marilyn

18 comments:

  1. Oh Marilyn I am so sorry to hear that you have been ill! Sending thoughts and prayers your way for a speedy recovery, and I hope you've got lots of help until you are! Have you been tested to see if it is Covid? I sure hope not! Please take good care and get lots of rest.

    Happy belated birthday! It looks like you were thought about in a lovely way, and the gifts are just wonderful! Louise's amazing sled and Husky puppy! They really are perfect! And the thoughtful handmade dishcloths from your daughter! She's as talented as you! I have one of those mini irons and it works great. I just need to get better about not burning myself with it, lol!

    Please post again soon and let us know how your recovery is going! I know we'll all be worried about you!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JOdi! Yes, I was tested and it was negative. The two guesses at this point is that it is either a delayed reaction to my Pfizer vaccine or that it is actually the flu. Either way, I am hoping it is completely gone soon! I hope you are doing well yourself. Big hugs. - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. ¡Recupérate pronto!
    Unos regalos preciosos. ¡Felicidades por tu cumpleaños!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel. ¡Ciertamente estoy deseando volver a ser mi yo normal pronto! ¡Salud!

      Delete
  3. Cuanto lo siento , lo principal es que te cuides y poquito a poquito recuperes fuerzas. Felicidades por tu cumpleaños , has tenido unos regalos fantástico; se nota que saben tus gustos. Cuídate, besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa-Maria. ¡Espero volver al 100% pronto y no puedo esperar para volver a trabajar en minis! Espero que estés bien y te mantengas a salvo. ¡Abrazos! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. ...and one that includes lots of minis, I hope! I hope you are well and safe and looking forward to increasing time with family and friends, as I certainly am. Hugs - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Oh Marilyn, I’m so sorry to hear how ill you have been, you have been very busy, did you neglect yourself a bit? I hope you will soon be back to full health. The sledge and husky puppy are absolutely gorgeous, the husky is too cute for words, the look on that little face is divine. Take care of yourself, take a few days off and pamper yourself :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern, Polly. I think I am getting a little stronger each day and am looking forward to more mini time. Yes, isn't that husky wonderful? Aleeta does great little animals. I have a couple of cats she made for me as well - a calico and a tuxedo cat - both representing well-loved pets who are no longer with us. I do love to look at them in my projects. You take care as well and stay healthy! The alternative is awful! Cheers. - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. Marilyn, espero que cada día te encuentres un poco mejor y que pronto estés totalmente recuperada, descansa todo lo que tu cuerpo te pida!
    Felicidades por tu cumpleaños aunque sea con retraso! Que maravillosos regalos, el cachorro con el trineo son absolutamente fabulosos! Y esos paños de cocina de tu hija son geniales, que bien que te hayan regalado la mini plancha, yo la uso mucho, es fantástica para todas las piezas de ropa en miniatura!
    Cuídate mucho y nos leemos pronto!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Pilar. Espero doblar esa esquina pronto. Sí, el pequeño husky es hermoso y Louise hizo una rara ocasión tan maravillosa para ir con él. ¡Un regalo increíble de un amigo increíble! Lo atesoraré por siempre. Ten una buena semana. Abrazos. - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. You have been missed - but of course it's okay if life keeps some of us away from blogging. But life shouldn't have come along with such bad and serious issues... I'm very sorry hearing your are that ill. Fingers crossed that you're feeling much better in the meantime. And isn't it typical that in times like these things of the kind with your newspaper do happen too. I suspect fate to have a bad sense of humour as it always knows the perfect time for a heavy punch. But happy belated birthday wishes combined with wishes for good health! You've been spoiled so much... the husky sleigh is stunning!!! And what thoughtful gifts from your daughter - I guess your elves will be the best dressed elves ever to be found at the Pole! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes, Birgit. Yes, I am feeling better every day. I think now it's just a matter of getting my strength and stamina back and that will come soon, I'm sure. I do love the husky and dog sled. Aren't they fabulous? Also, I am both looking forward to making the elves and their clothes and terrified by the idea. I've never made dolls before but, hopefully I will be up for the challenge. Have a good week yourself! - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Hello Marilyn, is this getting better for your health? Perhaps, out of the blue, it would be better to go see your doctor. I hope you will be better next time. Your pictures are beautiful. I really like the little dog, he is very well done. If it's not too intrusive, what is your magazine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! Yes, I am feeling much better now although I still get a little weak and shaky from time to time. I'm almost at 100%. Thank you for your concern. I did see a doctor when I was doing really poorly and I also had a Covid test which came back negative. Apparently I was one of the few who had a really bad reaction to the Pfizer vaccine. I'm happy you like my new little dog as much as I do. I'll have to think of a name for him. The magazine I was working on is The Shamrock Leaf - a culture and heritage newsmagazine we produce twice a year and distribute to members of the Irish Canadian Cultural Association of New Brunswick. We also give them out at local heritage fairs but, of course, there have been none of those in 2020 or 2021!

      I hope things are beginning to return to normal where you live and that we will all be fully vaccinated soon! Take care and hope to hear from you again. - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry that you have been unwell. Practice lots of self-care and rest. That works better than any medicine.
    The birthday gifts are lovely, you are spoiled with all the best things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Megan. I feel I am a most fortunate lady to have such wonderful friends and family. What more can a person ask for in this life?? - Marilyn

      Delete