Tuesday 6 July 2021

Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

At least that's how the saying goes, isn't it??  I hope so because, at the rate I have been posting this summer, you guys must really love me by now!!!  I do notice that several of us "regulars" have been a bit sporadic in our postings lately and I know that I still love all you guys anyway so I guess all is well!

I have been allowing myself to get distracted by other things - non-mini things - so have been a little lax but, it really doesn't bother me because with summer breaking out and Covid restrictions being loosened up, I am quite happy to get out of my house and do other things.  I will probably continue to wear my mask for a few months though, even when they say we don't have to.  I would like to wait and see what happens in the first month or two before I become comfortable leaving my mask in the car.  Fingers crossed we all stay healthy and can really get back to normal.

As for minis - I did get a request from my SIL in Prince Edward Island which I was happy to try to fulfill.  She loves to knit and has spent a lot of time in the last 18 months knitting 18 inch teddy bears for people who special ordered them.  She started with graduation bears, colour coded to the graduates' schools, of course and complete with gown and diploma.  After that came requests for front-line worker bears.  She has done so many nurse and doctor bears, including scrubs and face masks.  She has gotten requests for various sports - hockey player bears, etc.  The latest request was for a life guard bear.  She wanted to accessorize the bear with a whistle to put around the lifeguard's neck but couldn't find any small ones.

So, I started with the smallest size of round "woodsies", traced around the circle unto a scrap piece of Bristol board, and made the shape of a whistle.  I cut out six outlines and glued each one to a woodsie, then I glued two pieces together for the basic shape.



Now, at this stage, I am sure you have already spied my first mistake.  I have 5 of the 6 pieces all facing the same way instead of 3 one way, and the other three as mirror images.  On to the next step - pulling 2 of the woodsies off and gluing them to the other side.  I truly am an idiot!

I am sorry to say I then got focussed on making these whistles and didn't take any more pictures.  After gluing them together in pairs, it left a gap of 5 mm.  I cut a strip of bristol board that width and wrapped in from the bottom front, around the circle and part way to the top front.  I then left a gap and glued a small strip from the space I left to the front of the whistle.  That left gap which represented the hole at the top of the whistle where the air comes through to make sound.  Of course, these whistles do not really work but the hole is there to make them look like they could.  I also wrapped the little strip to half cover the end opening at the front so the hole at that end would be narrower.  Before I wrapped the 5mm strip, I took small pieces of wire, bent them in half around a toothpick and splayed out the ends so I could glue them onto the end of the woodsies to make something to hang the whistles on a cord.  When I was wrapping the 5mm strip around, when I reached where the metal hanger was, I cut little slits in the strip and it fit right over the hanger, which I had put on lengthways, not crossways.

Once all of this was done, I painted the three little whistles with a metallic silver paint, packaged them up when they were dry, and shipped them to my SIL.  I am so sorry I did not take any more pictures of the process and I hope you can understand my description of how I made them.

So, on to other things.  In my last post, I was just beginning to tackle the landscaping for my shepherd's hut.  I started by gluing down the pieces that form the rock walls and began to cover them with tiny rocks I got from the crushed rock that forms the base of our above-ground swimming pool.


I liked the look of having some of the rock "tumble" unto the ground in front of the wall.  Oh - I also used a facecloth glued over the base and pounced on, with a fairly dry brush, 3 colours of green, some brown and some gold.


I bought a variety of landscaping material from the model railway section of our local Michaels store and, after the walls were finished, tried my hand at landscaping.  For my first try at landscaping in 1:48 scale, I am satisfied with the results but, of course, hope to do better the next time.  Here are some pics of the end result:


You'll see I found a teeny lamb in my stash which I placed by the bush at the corner of the hut.  I really need to add some little details to the lamb so it is not just a little white "blob".  And I probably should try my hand at making a teeny mommy sheep to keep this little one company.










So there we have it - one project finished.  Although, between you and I, we all know that none of our projects are truly finished because we will go back every so often and say - "Hey, maybe I should add this, change that, ......"  But, for now, I will mark it as finished (details on the little lamb to make him look a little less plastic-y, and a mommy for him will come at some point, I am sure).

So, I hope you are all enjoying the little extra bit of freedom we are starting to have and that we all have a great summer!  I will try not to let 3 weeks go by without posting again but....I had better not make any promises.  *insert sheepish grin here*.  

As for Bruce's contribution to this week's post:


Continue to stay safe and healthy everyone!  TTFN!! - Marilyn


22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, Rosa María, ¡y un verano muy feliz para ti también! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Aunque no podamos ver el resultado final, seguro que esos silbatos han quedado geniales.
    La cabaña ya me gustaba antes, pero ahora con el paisajísmo está fantástica.
    Me gusta mucho el muro de piedra y como ha caído en las esquinas.
    Yo tambien voy a seguir usando la mascarilla, al menos durante varios meses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Los silbidos resultaron bastante lindos y lamento no haber tomado más fotos. Debo recordar llevar mi cámara conmigo cuando estoy trabajando y tomar muchas fotos "en progreso", sin mencionar las fotos del proyecto terminado. Estoy feliz con el paisaje de mi pequeña cabaña, pero sé que lo haré mejor con más práctica. Ahora estoy buscando cubos acrílicos en los que pueda poner mis proyectos terminados para protegerlos del polvo. Que tengas una gran semana, Eloisa. - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love the rock wall, Marilyn! It's so realistic looking, as is the aged finished on the wagon itself! I am just amazed by the amount of detail you were able to get into such a small scale, but you definitely have a talent for every aspect of it! It will be fun for you to continue to add elements and detail to the project, and I hope you'll share them with us! As for the bears and the whistle and getting out to enjoy the world? It all sounds like such a great way to get busy and enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi. I was glad to see you too are getting to enjoy other aspects as well - like a much anticipated visit with family. We are hoping for something similar within the next month or so. Fingers crossed! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. That's amazing! I can't get over how tiny it is and how real it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sheila! Coming from you that is high praise indeed! - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  5. Muy bonito el paisaje que rodea la cabaña. Me gusta como quedan los árboles. Genial el muro de piedras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Isabel. Creo que tal vez somos nuestros peores críticos, ya que realmente pensé que debería haberlo hecho mejor con el paisaje y me prometí a mí mismo esforzarme más la próxima vez. Tus comentarios me hacen sentir mucho más seguro y lo agradezco. ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. I love how the way the stone wall turned out, it's so realistic, especially at the end where some of the stones fall off. The landscaping completes it very nice, great work, Marilyn! And I see you even asked one tiny lamb (sorry, for asking if there would be any sheep in the landscaping ;O)!) and I am sure you can change it into a more realistic looking one at the end. The whole project is very realistic and great work!!
    The teddy bears project of your SIL (I now know what it means :)) is so sweet, I'm sure she has made many people happy. I could follow very well your way of making a whistle by using woodsies and Bristol board, it was clear to me, thank you.
    Just as you I'm still wearing face masks, since the contaminations here in The Netherlands are flaring up again, I guess because of the teenagers and twens, who are not having their vaccinations yet, or just one. So here the Covid restrictions have been loosened up since two weeks now, but maybe some of them will return, who knows. Anyway, Happy Summer, and stay well and healthy, dear Marilyn!
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ilona, the little lamb is due for a make-over, for sure. I do also want to find some company for him. He must be so lonely! Now I will get back to finishing the Postal Service and start working on another project. Everyone knows I can't just work on one at a time! I hope the easing of the restrictions around the world goes well but, like you, I am a little doubtful so will continue to take precautions for a while. Stay safe! Bug hugs - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Yesterday I was standing in a very long queue before our local icecream seller and I was the only one wearing a mask. Made me wonder whether the pandemic was declared to be over and if I missed the official announcement... It's amazing how much restrictions are taken away now and to see so many visitors in the stadions during the European Soccer Championship while the infections especially with Delta are rising. What a relief that I don't need to understand everything... *sigh*

    Your shephard's hut project turned out awesome and your landscaping doesn't look like a first attempt at all. But as sheep are very social animals you will need some more... some day... as it is good to always have something left to do. And thanks for sharing your method of creating those whistles, a guard bear sounds like a wonderful project.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Birgit. I was watching the soccer as well and was appalled that I couldn't see a single person wearing a mask in the stands and that the stands were jammed full of people. I guess it will be a test for the rest of us to see if the numbers rise dramatically after these reductions in precautions.
      Yes, my poor little lamb is lonely, for sure. First thing though, I think I need to give him some eyes so he can see that he is all alone. Then he will need a teeny mouth so he can cry his lonely cry. Poor baby. Stay safe dear friend - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. El paisajismo ha agregado interés y realismo a la cabaña, formando un conjunto maravilloso! Buen trabajo querida Marilyn.
    Seguro que tus silbatos quedaron fantásticos!
    Pasa un buen verano!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias querido amigo por tus amables palabras. Sobre todo porque tú mismo haces un paisajismo tan fabuloso. Espero hacerlo también algún día. ¡Que tengas un buen verano y mantente a salvo! - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. Oh my word, WOW, Marilyn, your shepherd’s hut is brilliant, all the detail, it’s so realistic, you have done a fantastic job. I agree, I think the little lamb needs a mummy. I’ve been distracted by non mini things as well, mostly gardening. I keep telling myself to get in the craft room and finish number 2 dolls house, there isn’t much left to do now, but it’s just not happening. I think covid restrictions will be lifted here soon. I have got so used to checking my handbag for keys, purse, phone and mask! I think I will still keep one with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your generous comments, Polly. Yes, the poor little lamb is looking for his mommy. I will have to do something about that. I know what you mean about nearing the end of your #2 dollhouse and not being motivated to get back at it yet. That happens to me with almost every project I do. I have lots of motivation early in the project but it takes me forever to put the push on to finish it as I get closer to the end. I find myself thinking of the next project I want to do and turn my attention to it instead. Oh well, it's not like we're punching a time clock on the projects, is it? They'll get done at some point.*grin* I'm with you - they are talking about removing the mask restrictions here in New Brunswick very shortly. They just removed the restriction in Prince Edward Island. I will continue to use my mask for several more weeks until I can assess the impact of the lower restrictions. I pray for no negative impact but will remain vigilant until I am more confident. Keep safe! - Marilyn

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rajani. And thank you for stopping by as well. I always love hearing from new miniature friends - or I suppose I should say new friends who love miniatures. *smile* Hope you're having a good weekend. - Marilyn

      Delete
  11. Good work on the whistle, and I love the miniature vignette.
    Isn't it a lovely thought that you might soon be emerging out of this terrible pandemic world and enjoy a more normal life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan and, yes, it sure will be nice when we get this all under control. My biggest hope right now is that we don't open things up too quickly and find ourselves back to square one! Hope you have a great week! - Marilyn

      Delete