That may sound like an easy thing to do but, after the last 24 to 48 hours, you'd be surprised what an accomplishment that is. Apparently our community(Oromocto, New Brunswick) was the record-breaker with 79 cm. of snow in just a matter of hours. This is one record I was not too happy to break!!! Here is a picture of our back deck and another of our driveway.
It is certainly at times like this when I am so glad I am not a man! The poor guys are always stuck with the majority of the heavy lifting or unpleasant jobs. I'll never complain about housework again!
Turning my back on all this snow, I hunkered down in my work room and did some work on our Club project. The first thing I did was glue in the small wedge-shaped piece at the top of the window opening, in preparation for installing my actual window pieces. Then I repainted all of my outside trim from white to a light taupe colour. Now when I look at it I'm thinking I liked it better white. I'm going to leave it for a while and see if it grows on me. The wainscoting and trim inside will be white so I may change the exterior back to its original colour.
So - on to making my window. How did I do it? Well, I know I could buy reasonably thin Plexiglas cut to size from one of our local glass supply businesses but, for a small project like this, I am always saving hard, clear plastic packaging. Here is a collection that includes the top of a sandwich tray, tops from berry boxes, a fruit tray top, etc. --- you get the idea.
Using plain printer paper, I made temples of the three separate sections of the window, clearly marking the location of each and the top so I would have them the right way around. (Unfortunately, with my limited skills, the spaces weren't necessarily consistent so it always pays to measure again and cut out the pieces to fit specifically.) I then taped these templates to the underside of the plastic I was going to use, just to make sure they didn't shift while I was cutting.
Once I cut them out, I test-fitted each piece in place, made some adjustments, and glued the pieces at the top and bottom to the wedges that form the top and bottom of the window opening. I first used Wellbond glue - it didn't work. Then I tried E6000. It worked on one piece but not another - I don't know why. Finally, I used Quick Grip on the remaining pieces that didn't glue successfully the first time around. Finally, it seems to work!
I left the window pieces to dry overnight to make sure the bond is good. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to apply the trim that will connect the window sections, both on the outside and on the inside. Once that is done I can go on to lighting and finishing the inside. I hope you're enjoying it so far. TTFN!! - Marilyn