Wednesday 30 January 2019

2018 progress on Advent room box

On my last post I showed you the Advent room box that I started in 2017. Okay - I'm very aware it was supposed to have been completed from December 1st to December 24th, 2017 But I guess I'm one of those people who move to the beat of a different drum - and my drum beats a very slooooow beat.

So, I did bring the room box back out of storage on December 1st 2018 and started working on it again. The first thing I did was to make a lap blanket to drape across the footstool and some coordinating throw cushions. I tried to use colours and patterns that would go well with the burgundy striped curtains but I particularly liked the way the red velvet ones worked up. Lovely fabric to work with.


Then I started thinking about what other decorations would add the right personality to the room. I needed to fill the large white wall space to the left of the fireplace. In the Dutch magazine, they built three tiny "shelf sitter" Santas and glued them inside small square clear plastic boxes, hung on their sides. I didn't really like them so did my own version. I made one shelf with three tiny Santas that I made from craft sticks (the popsicle stick size). I simply cut lengths of about 1" (2.54 cm., then I marked the centrpoint at the top and cut from the bottom corners to the centre point, leaving me with 3 little triangles. I then added tiny air-dry clay beads at the point, to act as a pom-pom, painted the little triangle red and white to look like a tiny old world Santa, and used a very fine pen to add a couple of dots for eyes. The I glued these three onto the little shelf I had made. This was definitely not enough to fill up that large wall so I proceeded to cut 6 more little triangles which I turned into three little white angels and three little Christmas trees which I also glued to tiny shelves.


Although the white angels blend into the wall, I still like the way the arrangement turned out.


Then I needed something for over the fireplace so I took a piece of artificial greenery that had fallen off my full-size garland, trimmed the needles down so they were very short, and formed a wreath. I added a few little beads for decoration and glued a little sheep into the centre. This will probably be the first thing I re-do next year. I think the decorations need to be larger to show up better and I will replace the white lamb with something that will show up better against the white fireplace.


I trimmed down another piece of my real-life artificial garland and trimmed across the mantle. Again - I need to add some larger decorations next year, plus some candlesticks.

I then wired in a little coal fire which glows red when turned on - adding a little "warmth" - at least visually.

Then I made an accent table for the corner. I used fabrics that were also used for the cushions so that it provided some consistency. These little round tables are so easy to make but, just on the off-chance that there is someone reading this who is truly a beginner, my next post will include a tutorial on the table, including how to make the star-shaped table topper.

I decorated a little Christmas tree, added some presents on the table and on the floor by the fireplace. Then came the "piece de resistance"!
On December 27th, I was in the Hallmark store to see if I could purchase a collector Santa to add to my display for next year (I buy one every year), when I noticed that their collector ornaments, including their "mini" ornaments were on sale for 40% off. I found an adorable little dollhouse which, when you press down on the chimney, the roof lights up with a multi-coloured light show. Adorable! And they also had a little red guitar which plays a Christmas tune (one of 2 or 3 different tunes - it changes each time), when you press the button on the side. I couldn't resist them!! I also added a cross-stitched cushion made by my friend Marijke from Pulchinella's Cellar. So - this is how the Advent room box looked by the end of this Christmas season:






Only one more Christmas season to go and I'll be finished! *smile* Next December I will be adding an advent calendar to the wall to the left of the window, tiny "Putz" houses across the top of the window valance, a Christmas candelabra on the window sill, candlesticks on the mantle, and a few other elements that I will keep secret for now. I love to leave you in suspense!

A little note on my pictures: I have been complaining for a long time now that my camera does not take very good pictures any more. They come out way more fuzzy than I would like. However, recently, when I turned my camera on and the lens spiraled out, I turned it around and took a look at the actual lens. OMG - it was filthy! You may notice that the last two pictures above are much clearer than most I've taken over the last couple of years. When my camera is shut off, the lens retracts and a shield closes over it automatically so I never really looked at it before. I will make sure I keep it clean from now on!

I leave you tonight with another view of our little helper. My DH bought a small work table for me yesterday. It will be easy to carry outside to our deck when the weather gets nicer so I can use it for a small table saw and the scroll saw to avoid all the dust and wood chips inside the house. There were only a couple of parts he had to screw together so, of course Miss Bridie offered her assistance once again.



I do so love it when she's helping her Daddy! It means she's leaving me alone. TTFN! - Marilyn



8 comments:

  1. Hmm very helpful cat. I love your Christmas roombox! Honestly, I only enjoy working on Christmas miniatures around Christmastime so if it was my roombox, it would also be stalled. You've made magnificent progress though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so much fun, Megan. Now that it's further along I can really see the final touches I will want to add next year. Then it will finally be finished! Christmas miniatures are my favourite!

      Delete
  2. Hello Marilyn,
    The ornaments you made are just fantastic! they decorate the wall beautifully and I am glad you found those ornaments at Hallmark. they are perfect for the room. You know, I never though of cleaning the camera lens...thank you for the idea.
    What a handsome helper.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love those little ornaments. I'm so glad I looked at the mini ornaments when I went in for something else entirely. Honestly, Giac, I couldn't believe how dirty the lens was. It was like there was a coating of dust and grease over it. No wonder my pictures were all fuzzy!

      Delete
  3. Lovely progress on a happy and warm looking project...love Christmas projects. How fortunate and lucky to find the perfect little accessory ornaments at Hallmark but the shelf ornaments are a delight. Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alayne. It's been a fund project. As for the shlef ornaments - I made them the way I make most things - by coming up with an idea at the last minute then flying by the seat of my pants! Hope all is well with you. Happy 2019! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Such wonderful progress! It all looks so festive and sweet! And Miss Bridle is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Sheila. That's what we call her - adorable, yup, that's it. *smile* - Marilyn

      Delete