Thursday 24 January 2019

Better late than never!!

Yes - you're absolutely right - it has been well over a year since you've seen anything from me. You know how you always INTEND to do something but before you know it, it's bedtime again and you promise you'll get to it tomorrow?? I had a lot of that going on. *smile*

So, I have so many things to tell you!!! Where to start? Where to start? Hmmm....

How about if we work our way backwards - what am I working on now? What was I doing before that? And so on..

For those of you who also follow my friend Marijke's blog at http://pulchinellascellar.blogspot.com/ you'll already know that our mini group is working on a single project that we plan on donating to our local military museum when completed.

For our project we are following the instructions we found in the August, September and October 2014 issues of Dollhouse and Miniature Scene. Titled "We will remember them...", the project was designed and created by Celia Thomas and Robin Britton of Nostalgia in Miniature Workshops.



A very poignant scene, this project portrays a long-abandoned military bunker from WWI, lying hidden and forgotten, unbeknownst to the aging veteran strolling through the poppy fields above, many decades after his harrowing experiences of wartime.

Marijke, Louise, Susan and I will be following the instructions for the project but will change some of the details to better reflect our Canadian viewpoint. Since Canada went to war in 1914 as part of the British Empire, the Union Jack is appropriate in this project. At that time, Canada's flag, the Red Ensign, was basically changing every time a new province joined Confederation. The Union Jack was a constant and frequently represented all of the Empire. We will try to find other little ways to identify our Canadian theme.

So, our plan was to divide and conquer. Each of us will work on pieces of the project, then come together to put the finishing touches together. As I mentioned above, check out Marijke's blog for the accessories she's been working on. It will be these accessories that really bring the realism into the project.

As for my contribution, I've started by putting the actual box together. From the DHMS magazine, August 2014, here is a picture of the basic pieces.


While I could have cut out the pieces myself, my darling DH volunteered to do it and hey, I wouldn't want to disappoint him now, would I? I'm such a good wife! We used 1/4" MDF. Here, in the Fredericton area, the only place I can buy 1/4" MDF is at Kent building supplies. It's really inexpensive (around $24 for a 4 ft. x 8 ft. sheet) and I always buy a full sheet because I know I will use it up anyway so why not? I have them cut it in two at Kent's to make it easier to get home. This time I shared it with Louise who took one of the 4x4 pieces for her own use. That size goes a long way in mini projects.

And then the build began. I used my favourite Lepage's carpenter's glue to put the pieces together. Then I began the process of applying rough-cut boards to the walls, and added 1/2" square wall studs. Marijke's DH, Chris, cut out a bunch of 3/4" by 1/8" strips for me out of some rough wood. I interspersed these with narrow widths cut from craft sticks since the soldiers would have used whatever they could have put their hands on.


Once all the wood strips were in, I installed the doorway and glued in the last wall piece, which will be covered in faux corrugated steel. The doorway and small wall piece are installed at a slight angle, not just to provide a more interesting look, but also to allow for better viewing of the inside once completed.




Next step - rough up all of the boards even more than they already are, cut out some wood for shelves, roof supports, and a support post, then start painting the inside.

So - stay tuned! There is more to come. I will try to post every few days to let you know of the progress of our group project, and to catch you up on other things I've been working on in my long absence from posting. Until then...TTFN! - Marilyn



10 comments:

  1. MARILYN!!! You're finally back!
    I have missed your posts my dear friend. What a wonderful project and I think it is great that your group will donate it to the museum. I am so excited to see how it turns out...with that many talented people working on it I know it will be fantastic! The boards on the wall already look really nice.
    Big hug, and welcome back
    Giac
    N.B. I hope I will get to see you at the Montreal show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac!!! So nice to hear from you. We're actually quite excited about this project. I'll do a little more work on the body of the building, then pass it along to the next person for following steps while I turn my attention to sand bags, poppies, etc.
      I do hope to be at the Montreal show however I am in limbo at the moment, waiting for the date for a knee replacement. All I know is that it will be sometime between early March and late May. I hope I get a date soon so I can plan other things!
      HUgs to you and Jo!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing way to honor the veterans as a group! Your bunker is looking so fun and inspirational! It's wonderful to see you back any time you want to pop in! Looking forward to the progress posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! I loved the project when I first saw it featured in DHMS magazine. We;re having fun with it for sure.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's really great. I love how it's looking so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. I'm anxious to pass along the building and start working on the landscape parts. I have found that I love making flowers and plants. And with someone like Marijke Hurkens to look to for advice, how can I not? - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. I remember seeing this article and I thought it was a fascinating approach to 12th scale miniatures and long overdue!
    Looking forward to seeing the continued progress on your war memorial project

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! I've just finished catching up on your blog. Your ability to create the most amazing finishes and ambiance in a room is simply amazing. I'm loving every bit of Villa Leon

      Delete
  5. What a great project and neat way to remember. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Troy. We are having fun with it and look forward to presenting it to the military museum when it's done.

      Delete