Wednesday 31 August 2022

Everyone needs a 'hideaway'.

Last month, after finishing the horse stable book-nook for my sister-in-law, I turned my thoughts to my next project.   What should I work on?  Should it be one of my unfinished projects?  One of the hundreds of ideas I have floating around in this busy brain of mine?  Should I search for new inspiration?

In the end, I decided to get to work on a project that actually incorporates all three of these.  Some of you may remember that a few years ago, I had posted a picture of a small project that I found really inspired me.  I decided on a container for the project and took a few small steps to get started.  Since making that very basic start, I set it aside and moved on to other projects.  However, since it actually incorporates the concept of an unfinished project, one that I found when searching for inspiration, and one that incorporates new ideas I have had floating in my mind for the last few years, it’s perfect!

A quick review to remind you of the project from a few years ago begins with the picture which inspired me.  I know many of you have seen this lovely piece online and I am sure admire it as much as I do. It is so beautiful in its simplicity.  Louise did a search for me and, on Pinterest, believes she found the name of the miniaturist behind this wonderful little project: Natalia Volchkova.  If this is not the right person, please let me know as I am a firm believer if giving credit where credit is due! 

I know you’ve also seen the picture below before, when I first thought about doing a project inspired by the above picture.  This is an old, ratty, dirty bird cage I used to use years ago in my outdoor garden decorating.  It has sat in the garage for years, gathering dust and grime.  The wicker in the bottom edge of the cage and dried and broken and was also looking very sad.  So, I removed the wicker, took a metal brush to it to clean off the dirt and dust, and took another look at it from every angle.  Having removed the original arched door to the cage I then decided the opening would look better at the back of the project and Bruce removed several of the vertical bars from what had been the back of the cage, making it the new front with a nice wide opening.






 I removed the ugly clasps that held the top to the bottom of the cage and painted it a very pale blue.  I really love the softness of this colour.  It works perfectly for the scene I have in my head.


I decided I would raise the floor so I can hide a battery pack underneath and that I would have a brick floor inside and would fill in the space where the ugly wicker used to be with a stone look finish.  Here I have cut a piece of mat board to fit the inside and have started to dry fit the bricks.  Then I drew some straight lines across the floor to make sure I could stay in line as I went and I started to glue them down.  When all the bricks were laid they were sprayed with a sealer and left to dry before I applied grout to them.  I will show you the finished floor in my next post.



In the meantime, I had decided I would make a wicker chair and footstool for inside this little “hideaway”.  Well, I actually thought I would make a wicker chaise longue but Marijke, Louise, and even my DD, Shauna, said a chair and footstool would be better so I reluctantly gave in happily changed direction.  Here is how they look before I made the cushions for them.


So now I am off to grout the floor and begin the tedious job of making “stones” for the outside.  In the next post I hope to be much further along!  Until then, big hugs to all of you out there.  I so enjoy reading about the wonderful things you have been doing in your own blogs.  Minis go deo!! (Minis forever in Irish *smile*) TTFN!!! - Marilyn

15 comments:

  1. Una idea genial Marilyn! le darás vida con ese comienzo tan prometedor!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Pilar. Siempre eres tan alentador. ¡Qué cariño! Grandes abrazos. - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Oh Marilyn! I do remember when you told us about this project and I was so excited for it then and even more now! What a marvelous idea and the perfect bird cage repurposed just for the job! Bruce is quite a handy guy and I say keep feeding him so he sticks around!
    If I were there with you when I saw the wicker chair and ottoman, you would have felt my hand grasping your shoulder in astonishment, eyes bulging out of my their sockets and things flying off shelves as I gasped, sucking in my breath and everything nearby which was not nailed down! Incredible!!! You are just loaded with talents of every kind imaginable! I am so excited to see this project unfold and all the amazing ideas I know you have planned for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I certainly wouldn't go that far, Jodi but it makes me happy to think I've got you fooled into thinking I have some talent! I think I am going to look for an online Cricut mini group so I can start getting some use out of mine. You really inspire me with your incredible work! - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. You have really transformed that little birdcage. I love the direction you are going with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, Sherrill. I have a couple of secret ideas that I haven't disclosed yet - I have to see if they'll work first! Stay tuned and keep mini-ing! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Hooray, a new project! And what a lovely one - with a gorgeous inspiration, a very promising start regarding the beginnings of your floor and the cage's color and best of all having a stunning, awesome and very decorative cage already at hand at no costs. Perfect! I'm curious to see more but for now I need to say I'm in awe with the result of your wickering work. The chair and stool are perfect - chapeau!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Birgit. I think most people are unaware of how easy mini wicker furniture is to make - at least for simple pieces, that is. I have only ever made 3 pieces to this point but really enjoy it so am sure I will be making more in the future. I would like to try some more complicated designs and see how I make out. Every mini maker should try it at least once! All the best - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Es un hermoso proyecto. El acabado de la jaula ha quedado muy bien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Isabel. Me encantó la pieza de inspiración que vi y me estoy divirtiendo reinventándola para mí. Solo espero que la visión que tengo en mi cabeza se traduzca en el proyecto final. ¡Muchos abrazos! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that you picked up on this project again, Marilyn.
    I'm already LOVING the look of the brick floor especially the two-toned pattern you've chosen for it which breaks up the red and makes it a feature!
    The wicker furniture that you've made for this project is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and I can't wait to see the finished cushions on them- TWO THUMBS UP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth. I'm quite excited about it as it is progressing exactly how I had envisioned it - and that almost never happens since I change my mind so frequently! I'm so glad you like my wicker since I've only ever made 3 pieces but it is so much fun I can definitely see more wicker being made in the future. The three pieces I made were all done with an off-white waxed linen thread but I also have some natural brown thread which I would like to use. I think natural wicker furniture would look great and am already thinking of what type of project I might use it in. Hope you are enjoying some mini time as well. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Gracias por visitarme.
    No conocía tu blog así que mañana disfrutaré de todos tus trabajos desde el principio.
    Me gusta la transformación de la jaula y estoy deseando ver que escena va en su interior.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marian. I have just discovered your blog as well and will have fun exploring it. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your work. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Gracias, Mariana. Acabo de descubrir tu blog también y me divertiré explorándolo. Estoy deseando ver el resto de tu trabajo. ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Hi! your post is so informative and stimulating. All though it ideas were pinging in my head! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete