Tuesday 7 March 2023

Did you think I was gone forever??

 I know it may seem that way since it's now been just over 5 months since my last post but yes, I am still here!  I must admit that although I have done a little bit of mini-ing during those months, not much has been accomplished.  As spring is nearing though, I seem to have found my mojo again and plan on getting back in the mini saddle.  

I had planned on starting back up weeks ago but, unfortunately, I was unlucky enough to have had a visit from Covid.  It certainly came uninvited and then refused to leave!  I know that my age and the fact that I have asthma does put me in what they call a  "compromised" category, but I was still very surprised at just how bad it was - and that I am still recovering from the fallout.  For those of you who have not experienced it yet, I am here to tell you it is nothing to trifle with. Despite having had all 5 recommended vaccinations and starting on Paxlovid the day after I first tested positive,  things went downhill for me very quickly.  Part way through I did end up spending an afternoon at our local hospital's  emergency room as they got me stabilized with an IV for hydration and courses of IV antibiotics for my throat and cortisone to help my lung function.  I was then back home and continued the Paxlovid, cortisone and antibiotics until they were done but it continued to be a serious struggle.  I really do think that if it had not been for my vaccinations over the last year and the medications I received during the course of the infection, I do not think I would have made it - and I mean that quite seriously.  Please, please take the warnings seriously!!  Your life, or the life of someone you love, may depend on it.

Okay - with that lecture done, I move on to something I did do this week.  While sorting laundry downstairs on the weekend, my eye was caught by a small, framed, mixed-media picture leaning on  shelf in our family room.  It has a small ceramic black cat leaning over a glass of Guinness ale with a caption above that says "Guinness - Feline Good!"  It brought a smile to my face, followed quickly by the realization that it was now March and I hadn't decorated at all for St. Patrick's Day.  I quickly dragged out my outdoor St. Patrick's wreath and our Irish flag and Bruce hung them up outside our front door.

Back inside I starting looking for something I could use for the centre of my dining room table when my eyes fell onto a set of 4 nesting shadow boxes on my craft shelf.  I bought them years ago thinking I could make small mini vignettes in them and hang them on a wall.  However, by taking the three largest ones and two small wooden candlesticks I had also purchased a long time ago just "in case", and gluing them all together, I now had a three-tiered tray to work with. Then I went looking for things to place in them. Combining everything together and setting it on a lovely shamrock table runner my sister had made for me several years ago, this is what I ended up with:





All in all, I am happy with how it turned out just by using stuff I found in various places in my home. Now I'm thinking of how I will change it out for Easter!!

Although I am still recovering from the aftermath of my Covid infection, I am going to try to do some minis this week and will hopefully get back into a regular work routine moving forward.  Until the next time - Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!  TTFN!!! - Marilyn

12 comments:

  1. Hi Marilyn! It is so great to see a post from you! Holy buckets - I am so sorry to learn that Covid got hold of you! It is nasty, deadly, and just doesn't seem to know when to leave! My son in law has it again - just when we think it's safe to be in public again we are rudely reminded. My daughter traveled to Edmonton last week for business and stayed with us on either end. To be honest, after RSV got Russ and I so bad Dec/Jan, I was afraid to hug her when she came through the door! With all the bugs these days, we need to avoid them like our lives depend on it because they just might! If you are with others for St. Patty's, please mask up just in case!

    The centerpiece is so innovative! I love it! It will be so much fun to creatively display it for all the special holidays! And your SIL's runner is wonderful! How thoughtful of her to make you such a lovely piece!

    Sending my wishes for your full and speedy recovery! I hope you find your mini inspiration again soon - it is nice to have you home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jodi, Bruce and I have never stopped wearing our masks when we are out in public. I have no idea how I picked up the Covid virus but it sure was scary. I haven't been out of the house for weeks, except for my hospital visit but I sure will be careful when I start going out again. Thank you for your kind words on my rough interpretation of a three-tiered tray and on my sister's beautiful table runner. I'll be sure to pass your comments along to her. She is a very talented quilter, for sure. Glad you and Russ have recovered. Stay healthy and God bless! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Hi Marilyn. Good to see you back in the saddle, but how worrying to read of your COVID infection. It is a bad disease and I worry too that people are complacent now. I really hope you recover completely soon and get the minis going again. I too have had a break, doing some other things, but I do need to get back to the minis again soon. Continue to look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Shannon - it appears many of us have taken a little break but with spring fever soon rearing its head, I'm sure we'll all be re-energized soon! I look forward to reading everyone's updates soon! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Hello Marilyn,
    I'm sorry to learn about your COVID infection and that it caught you so bad. I hope you are over it now and wish you a complete recovery.
    Your St. Patrick's table center stand is gorgeous.
    Stay well,
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drora. I'm so glad to say I think I have finally put Covid behind me but it sure was scary at the time! I'm glad you like the little display I threw together. Now I'm thinking of what I can put in it for Easter, then Canada Day, a summer display, fall, Hallow'een, Christmas, New Years..... What fun! - Hugs. - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Hi Marilyn! Welcome back! Yikes, what a scary bout with covid! I am so glad you got treatment and made it through! So many of us are now in the "risky" age group and have to be careful even when we have taken all the vaccinations. I hope you recover fully.
    Your little table decoration is such an ingenious use of random items! I love the tiered idea and you have managed to bring together so many little items in a meaningful way. Take care and allow yourself to rest when you need it! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I think I am well and truly on my way to full recovery, thank heavens! I'm glad you like my table centrepiece. It's just more proof that it is good idea to hang on to random items. I'm always convinced I will be able to use them some day! I'm not sure if Bruce sees it the same way I do though. *smile* Have a great day. - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. ¡Mucho ánimo, que ya casi lo tienes vencido al COVID!
    Me encanta el centro de mesa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias IsabelI. Me siento mucho mejor ahora. Me alegra que te guste el centro de mesa. Ahora estoy pensando en qué hacer para Semana Santa. Grandes abrazos. - marilyn

      Thank you IsabeI. I'm feeling much better now. I'm glad you like the centerpiece. Now I'm thinking of what to do for Easter. Big hugs. - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. What can I say, but "Love it!' Will it still be up next week? Sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marijke. Just saw your comment. Sorry the St. Patrick's day tiered trays weren't up yesterday when you were here but hope you enjoyed the spring one instead! Hugs - Marilyn

      Delete