Saturday 1 October 2022

Just a quick catch up

 I haven't gotten a lot done in these last two weeks but thought I should drop in to let you all know where I'm at.  

First, when thinking about my birdcage room box - or my "forest retreat" as I prefer to call it, I always pictured it with a table off to one side with a mirror above it but wasn't sure what kind of mirror I wanted. So, I headed down to my craft room - yes, of course I dropped some bread crumbs so I could make my way back out again - and looked through my stash.  There I found a box of frames I had purchased from Michael's a few years ago.  They had a whole bin of these frame sets.  There are 4 frames in each little package - 2 small round ones, one small square one and one very decorative one.  They came in four different colours and the decorative frame was different in each of the four colours.  They were on sale for $1.25 a package.  I bought lots of packages!

So, I chose two different frames, followed the bread crumbs out of the room, and headed back upstairs to see which frame I liked better.  Whichever I choose will be painted anyway so the colour it is right now doesn't really matter.  First I tried this pretty green rectangular frame.


Although I really do like it, I took a look at my other choice.  It has an arched top to it and, of course, there are several arches in the bird cage itself so this seemed like a no-brainer for my mirror choice.


This will be painted before I cut the mirror out to insert.  

This choice made, I set it aside, installed my steps and started adding the "rocks" to the base of my little retreat.



From there, I turned my attention back to my fireplace and chimney.  I dirtied up the inside of the firebox and, after taking another look at the tiles I installed earlier, decided that the location of the mantel was going to be much too low.  So, I added four more rows of tile in a decorative pattern and installed the rocks over the whole thing.  Then I installed some logs and a set of flickering fireplace lights behind the logs.  Before putting it in place I used some hot glue to build up the area that will be the "flames".  In the next stage I will use some alcohol inks to colour the glue areas to look more like flame colour. Here is the fireplace with the expanded tile area and with the lights turned on.



In the upcoming two weeks I will be painting all of the rocks - first with an all-over coat of a light colour, then adding a few other colours to bring out the rock look.  Then I will attach it to the cage and add the mantle piece.  I hope I will also have time to make a light fixture I have in mind and perhaps a few of the smaller, decorative items before my final couple of weeks will be spent on the "pièce de la résistance" for which I am hoping I can do justice.

I know this is not a lot of progress but I am hopeful I can do better before my next post.  Wish me luck!  Have fun mini-ing!  TTFN!! - Marilyn

11 comments:

  1. Esa chimenea tiene un aspecto genial! Cuando nos la enseñes pintada, seguro que lucirá perfecta en su lugar!

    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eso es lo que espero, Pilar. Y cuando le haya puesto el manto, se verá aún mejor, espero. ¡Abrazos! - Marilyn

      That's what I am hoping, Pilar. And when I have added the mantle to it, it will look better still, I hope. Hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Your Forest Retreat fireplace is on it's way to looking amazing! I am so excited to see how the alcohol ink flames come out. What a great idea and such a fun thing to try! I am also excited to see how the rocks come out. The stairs look great and I love the way you've made such a grand entry into the room. I am sending good wishes for the lighting and the "pièce de la résistance" - I am sure they will be fabulous coming from that ingenious mind and talented hands of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jodi. I only hope I can live up to your expectations! I promise I will strive very hard to get the "Wow" factor into the project. Hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Wow! The fireplace is gorgeous. I can't wait to see more of this project.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora. I am having fun with it even if I am taking more time with it than I had originally intended. (Isn't that always the way!) Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Me encantan las escaleras. Han quedado magnificas.
    Cuando toda la piedra este terminada será maravillosa.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Mariana. Es solo un proyecto pequeño, pero parece estar tomando mucho tiempo. Supongo que todos sabemos cómo es eso. ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Thank you, Marian. It's only a small project but it seems to be taking lots of time. I guess we all know what that's like. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. According to my modest opinion you've made a lot of progress as you've made some tasks which are very time-consuming. And making decisions about decorative frames also takes some time, even more if there is the spreading of bread crumbs needed. Thanks for giving me a good smile...

    I like how your forest retreat is coming to life and I can't wait to see more. However I'm curious about the "pièce de la résistance"...

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  6. ¡Esas piedras van a quedar estupendas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bueno, gracias, Isabel. Resulta que acabo de terminar de enlecharlos, colorearlos y sellarlos todos hoy. Mañana estaré fijando permanentemente la chimenea. Apenas puedo esperar para ver el producto terminado en su lugar. ¡Ten un excelente fin de semana! -Marilyn

      Well, thank you, Isabel. As it turns out, I just finished grouting, colouring and sealing all of them today. Tomorrow I will be permanently attaching the fireplace. I can hardly wait to see the finished product in place myself. Have a great weekend! - Marilyn

      Delete