Monday 15 April 2019

Last call for Montreal!

Well, today's post brings an end to this year's Montreal Miniature Show and Sale - but, as with every year, the inspiration I have absorbed will carry me through to next year, I hope!

In the last post, I did miss one picture from Vanessa Barklay's work. Keeping with the artist theme that was evident in several of the display pictures, this one of Vanessa's really speaks to me. This little studio reminds me so much of one on Heir Island in West County Cork, Ireland - the area that is near and dear to our hearts. Clean, simple and bright with shallow shelves displaying a variety of art pieces, it does take me back to our regular stomping ground of Baltimore, Ireland and the wonderful memories we have made there, and on the nearby islands, over the years.


Jane Bothwell's artist studio even includes a live model striking a relaxing pose on a chaise longue. The large skylights and windows flood the lucky artist's space with light and shadows - the perfect environment for masterful results.


The entries from Beverley Lun, the Chair of the show's organizing committee, never fail to amaze and inspire. I love how Bev can set up beautiful little scenes in very small spaces that display such a high degree of elegance and charm.



I particularly love this next box. Beverley has used this technique before - building a small framed piece inside a larger one, having details spill from one to the other. She told me that the main frame is 5x7 inches so it is very compact and easily displayed. She said the inside box is simply made from foam core. The outside of the larger box is framed in a stained wood to match the front frame. The depth could be made to fit your own purposes. I think this concept would be especially effective to personalize as a gift for a special someone. You could target a particular hobby of the intended recipient, a special birthday or anniversary, a special shared memory - the sky's the limit - constrained only by your imagination.


Bev's last display piece is lovely but, unfortunately, makes me feel particularly envious and inadequate! I, too, have a southwest, adobe-style house under construction but now, when I see how beautiful this one is, I wanted to come right home and toss my meagre efforts in the garbage. I restrained myself though and will try to salvage my own, using the inspiration I received from this one.



Bev shared some of her techniques with me, for which I am grateful, and I will try to use these to guide me to finish my own Spanish-inspired home. Thank you, Bev.

The last exhibitor I have for you has only been a member of the Montreal club (MEM) for a month or two but obviously has been working on her miniatures for several years. Many of the pictures I took did not turn out well but I include them here anyway in hopes that you are able to pull enough detail out to see the amazing talent of this prolific miniature artist, Diane Raymond.

We start with a lovely little Christmas scene - a French-inspired dining room - very elegant, isn't it?


Another smaller piece is this beautifully detailed fortune teller's wagon.


How about this poor lady? Was there something in that goblet lying on its side that ended in disaster? Or did someone brick her up behind a wall with a full bottle for company before she finally succumbed?? A little disturbing to think of but it looks like her little sitting corner was once very beautiful at least.


Diane's "Abandoned Library" is full of character, detail and age, truly showing the passage of time and neglect, including a tree growing right up through the floor!


Unfortunately, the interior pictures of this wonderful old saloon were far too fuzzy to show, but you can still see the talent Diane displayed in finishing the removable front of the building.


This very modern piece shows Diane's versatility. Her pieces range from the historical, to the modern, to the fantastical. Here is her wonderful example of a truly modern home.


From there we visit Diane's bakery/café with scrumptious food and gifts on the ground floor and elegant alfresco seating on the rooftop.





Not all of the pictures of Diane's "Crabtree & Evelyn" shop turned out well but, trust me, it is truly beautiful!




This is terriby fuzzy but gives you the idea of the layout and you can see the stairs leading to the upper level as well.



Now we enter Diane's more fantastical realm. And, I know I now sound like a broken record but I am so sorry the pictures are so bad because the work is incredible!!

First we have the Evil Witch's lair, "La Sorcière la Malveillante".










Last, but by no means least, is Diane's "Steampunk" entry. It is so detailed you could keep coming back and seeing something new each time. Fabulous work.





That brings an end to our Montreal journey. I want to thank all of the talented MEM members for bringing me so much joy and inspiration. For my readers, I hope there was something among all these pictures over the last few days that truly "spoke" to you personally and inspires you to create your own unique piece of miniature art.

Moving on, tomorrow I will be starting a new little project to display at the Moncton Miniature show on May 4th. Hopefully I can finish it in time - it is small after all. However, I have big plans for the small space. I'll let you in on it after my group's mini day on Wednesday. TTFN!!!! - Marilyn











5 comments:

  1. You have a bunch of incredibly creative and talent folks contributing to the show displays! What a great and inspiring time it must have been to see them all! Thank you for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, JOdi - it's always so inspirational to see the works from members of the Montreal Club. It takes us 8 hours to drive there each year, a hectic couple of days at the hotel and another 8 hours driving back - but we wouldn't miss it! Glad you enjoyed the pics. - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. OMG I just visit Charminis. I'm so honored that you put all my miniature from the MEM show 2019.Thank you very much and see you next year with new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be the one thanking you, Diane. Your work is incredible and gave me so much inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing it with us all! - Marilyn

      Delete
    2. Diane: I would like to get in touch with you to discuss the method you used on the rock wall of your Evil Witch's Lair. Could you email me at my regular address: mdriscn618@rogers.com? Thank you.

      Delete