Sunday 9 June 2019

Breaking the 10th Commandment yet again!!!!!

I try, God, I really try! But I just can't seem to help myself! I'm really pretty good with all of the other commandments but that one about coveting??? When there are so many beautiful mini works of art out there? I'm sorry to say, I covet. I covet big time. I'm so bad but remember - I am a work in progress!

Part of my 12-step-plan to overcome my tendency to covet is, when I find something I really love and would love to have for my very own, make one myself!! They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so it can't be all bad, can it?

So, putting Dorothy's garden behind me, I know I have so many unfinished projects that I could now take up and get to work on but I found a picture on Pinterest that I really love:


Isn't it pretty!!!??? I like pretty! As I mentioned, I found this picture on Pinterest but, unfortunately I can't seem to find it again. I'd love to give credit to the person who made this lovely piece. If anyone knows whose it is, I can update this post to reflect that. [UPDATE: My BFF, Louise, came through for me - she found the picture on Pinterest. This inspiration piece was made by Natalia Volchkova. Thank you, Louise! Natalia: If you ever stumble across my blog - thank you so much for this beautiful piece of inspiration. Your work is amazing. - M.D.]

In the meantime, it occurred to me that I had a really old decorative birdcage out in our garage. I used to fill it with decorative items and sit it in the middle of my patio table outdoors every summer but I haven't done that for a number of years now. So - I went searching and I found it!
It's old, it's dirty, and it was filled with old artificial greenery and flowers, not to mention a substantial amount of dead bugs and spider webs. Yuch!

I cleaned all of the crap out from inside it and now the bare bones can be seen.


Now - I know it's not beautiful right now but I can really see the potential! I'm going to cut out the vertical wires across the lower part of the front, which also means the woven wicker will have to come out all the way around as well because it will just undo once I cut out a chunk of it. I'm thinking I might use hemp cord to weave through the remaining bars to replace the wicker I remove. Then, spray paint the whole thing either a white or a nice soft bluish-grey, or maybe even soft pink! - Then I'll be off to the races!

I think this could be fun! Once completed, I won't have to covet the one I saw in the picture! See, God, I am trying to come up with a self-cure for my wickedness! I hope you approve.

I'm afraid I won't get a chance to try it for a few weeks as I am getting a whole new knee on Tuesday so may be down for the count for a little while. But the thought of this little diamond in the rough will focus me to get better as quickly as I possibly can. Enjoy the sunshine everyone! TTFN! - Marilyn

12 comments:

  1. I'm coveting your project! I hope your knee surgery goes as smooth as possible. Now you have something to look forward to doing once you are recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, another sinner!! I think you and I would get along fabulously! You're right - I'll keep thoughts of all the mini projects I want to do to keep my mind busy during recovery. Thanks, Carrie!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see your take on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sheila!! I wish I could start right away. I'll spend my down time planning though so I can hit the ground running as soon as possible - well, maybe not a good metaphor since I doubt I'll be "running" anywhere for a while. *smile*

      Delete
  3. I too am guilty of coveting beautiful miniature pieces and do appreciate your solution to the problem. The room scene in a decorative cage is very pretty and I will look forward to seeing what you will create inside...the challenge is soon to begin and it will help in your recovery process. Hope the surgery and the post-surgery recovery go extremely well and you are soon feeling 100% or 'top drawer' as my grandmother used to say! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another bad girl!! Carrie - you and I have company now that Alayne has joined us - although I am a little suspicious it's actually a pretty big club! Hmmm, Alayne - "top drawer" you say?? A good reminder that I must find a nice chest of drawers for this project. I must have one in my stash. Can't wait to get started! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Hi Marilyn!
    I think your idea for the birdcage is going to be wonderful! It's so neat to have an idea and then realize you already have most of what you need to achieve it!
    When you remove the wicker, you may also be able to use a natural fiber placemat and cut it down as wainscoting. That might be a fun look to play with! I like the color options you're considering and can't wait to see what you have planned for the interior decor!
    Best wishes for your knee replacement and speedy recovery! Having something fun to look forward to is always the best way to heal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! I so wish I could start right away. The ideas are really percolating now! See that little half moon spot on front and back above the upper trim? Does that scream "stained glass window" or what??? Darn - I wish I wasn't going in hospital tomorrow!!!! *sigh* - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. The shape of your birdcage is Gorgeous Marilyn, and I am interested and excited to see how you will be transforming it into what you've coveted. The proportions of the one you have, are just right for a mini room!
    I'm sorry to hear about your upcoming knee surgery but once done, I know that you'll be very glad that you did it! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very glad, Elizabeth. Sure, I'm in some pain but it isn't bad and will only get better instead of consistently getting worse as it had been.
      Yes - I'm actually excited about my bird cage. I hope it turns out even half as good as what I am imagining in my head! Thank you for your encouragement. - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. That birdcage has serious potential! And yes, I would cut out the vertical wires and replace the wicker with hemp. Can't wait to see what you make of it. Lots of luck with the new knee. I hope you'll be dancing around soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan. It's been a long while since I've been able to dance! That would be really nice! Keep your fingers crossed for me that this cute little bird cage can live up to its potential at my fairly inexperienced hands! - Marilyn

      Delete