Tuesday 14 July 2020

A Cautionary Tale

... That's basically what I call my whole journey into miniatures...a cautionary tale for everyone out there who would like to know the proper way to do things. Following my example would not be the way to go!!

I know, and have always known, that planning in advance is so important and can save so much time and anguish on your project. However, that is just not the way I roll! As a result - I once more find myself at a crossroads where I have to take a step backwards in order to move forward.

My original intent was to have the walls of the North Pole Postal Service permanently in place with a clear dome for the top so the interior can be viewed from above. However, every time I set the last wall up against the building, I felt like it would be difficult to view a lot of the planned (yes - I did say "planned") details. After much agonizing, I decided I needed to have that last wall hinge open in some way. Well, the building is made from 1/4" MDF and we all know that screwing hinges into MDF does not often have good results. If you are going to install hinges, you really are better off screwing them into wood. So - I could do that by using wood glue to attach a one-inch strip of solid wood to the existing back wall and the floor in that area. Then I would also need a piece of the connecting wall to be wood as well in order to secure the hinges. Well, as we all know by now - I have that 22" long wall already finished with wainscoting for the front room portion, wallpaper in the back room area and a painted wall in the bathroom area, not to mention that the light sconces are already attached and wired onto the wall in the front portion.


Now what to do??? I haven't had a lot of time to work of minis this week as real life has gotten in the way - which is why I am posting late on this Tuesday, but I have spent a lot of time thinking about that darn wall.

In the meantime, I have taken advantage of the few pockets of time I have had to get just a couple of little things done. I used my Cricut maker to cut out the letters and images for the signs for the building. Here is a picture of the sheet of cardstock before I finished punching out all of the negative spaces.


Then, I glued and stacked three of each letter and sleigh image to provide a thicker profile. I arranged them on white Bristol board until I was happy with the spacing, glued this onto a 1/16" thick piece of sheet wood and framed all of it with a red trim piece of basswood. I have installed the sign on one of the side walls and, as soon as I finish the other wall, there will be a sign there as well. I will have to cut that one to match wherever I cut the wall to allow it to hinge open.


I also managed to finish making the electric meter to hide the wires and battery for the front room and bathroom lights. I first painted it with a couple of shades of grey, dry brushed with silver and again with white to make it look more like galvanized metal. I didn't like it at all so I repainted with a light grey, leaving just a bit of the old paint job showing. Then I hid the wires in the two upright pipes and the battery and on/off switch in the main box. I cut a hole in the side for the switch to be accessible, and I wedged a piece of wood inside to make sure the switch didn't get pushed back into the meter box. It's all glued in place and the wires are now hidden. Whew - finally, one problem solved!



As for my dilemma with the wall?? Well, Bruce cut a partial wall for me from 1/4" plywood, cut that into a 1" wide piece to attach to the back wall and drilled holes in the two pieces to accommodate the hinges.


Now I will have to test fit to determine where to cut the original wall to meet up with this new piece, and start painting and wallpapering all over again. Wish me luck!!



10 comments:

  1. Plans? They are only a jumping off point, anyway! And when an idea takes hold, who wants to wait around for the rest of the plan to materialize? I say just start with something and the rest will follow...
    I love the sign you made! It's perfect for the place! And the electrical meter came out perfectly appropriate for the kind of weather it endures at the North Pole!
    The hinged front is a great solution for both seeing in and keeping it protected from dust and curious kitties! It's so nice when our handy husbands can help us resolve an issue.
    Have fun with the redecorating! I bet it will go even better the second time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do agree with that, Jodi - where's the fun in having everything planned out. However, I then have to be prepared for the consequences which I am facing now.

      Yes, Bruce is so helpful and willing to do whatever I ask of him. I think he's secretly wanting to do projects himself as he always comes up with great ideas. For right now though, He's keeping that to himself! Big hugs! - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  2. Have you thought about magnets instead of a hinge? I've had very good luck with them when I use mdf walls. They make some really powerful small magnets, smaller than a pencil eraser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly another possible option to think about, Sheila. Unfortunately, the existing wall fits in between the two end walls which might make it a little more difficult but I will add that thought to all the others floating through this little brain of mine! Thank you for the suggestion. Cheers!- Marilyn D.

      Delete
  3. Lo que ha hecho hasta ahora está genial.Cuando te enfrentas al problema siempre hay alguna solución así que ¡adelante!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, Isabel, ese es generalmente mi pensamiento: solo sigue adelante y la solución se presentará. ¡Espero que funcione esta vez también! - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  4. Do you know the saying that whenever somebody's making plans fate is falling from its chair because of too much laughing? ;O) I admire everybody who is organized and following a clear schedule, my working mode is chaos and there's an enormous differene between the starting vision of a project of mine and how it's developing. Well, or in other words... you're not alone. Fingers crossed for your issues to be solved.

    The electric meter turned out awesome... and I really like the sign. You have my respect for gluing these delicate writings together - the result is terrific.

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha ha - yes, Birgit, it is nice to know I am not alone. I like to think that lack of planning gives me more opportunity to be creative on the fly! Most times it works out in the end. What more can you ask for? *smile* - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  5. Seguro que encuentras la solución, igual que has hecho hasta ahora.
    Me parece todo fantástico, un gran trabajo !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Eloisa. ¡Solo espero que mi suerte no se agote antes de terminar este proyecto! ¡Abrazos! - Marilyn D.

      Delete