Tuesday 7 July 2020

Channeling Bob Ross

Do any of you remember Bob Ross, the gentle, soft-spoken artist who taught painting on a PBS television show called The Joy of Painting? I used to watch him regularly. He always fascinated me with how simple he made everything seem and, in no time at all, ended up at the end of each 30 minute show with a completed painting. One thing he used to say frequently was that there were no mistakes in painting - just happy little accidents.

Well, today's short post is about my latest "happy little accident".

Moving along with the North Pole Postal Service, I wanted to get started on the outside wall finish so I could permanently attach the lanterns outside the front door. Since I had already run the wiring, the lights were hanging loose until I could get the wall finished behind them. I wanted the post office to look like it was made from large blocks of snow and ice so I proceeded to cut lots and lots of 1"x2" rectangles of thin white foam from a pack of styrofoam plates I got at Dollarama. I figured that once I was done I could then use a combination of paint and fine white glitter to make them look more realistic. Before I started gluing on the foam pieces, I painted the walls white in case any of the wall ended up showing through the cracks between blocks.

I started gluing the blocks on the walls using my go-to glue: Quick Grip. After I had a few rows done, I looked back and was horrified to see that the glue was melting the foam pieces! I should have known that was going to happen! So, then I was left with a dilemma. Should I try to rip them all off before I got too far along and the glue was truly dry? Or, should I continue and try to fix things later. You know me - I decided to carry on and see what I could do to repair things later. The "happy little accident" showed up when I had completed a large portion of the first wall. I thought it looked like actual ice blocks!!


I continued along, finishing off that wall, the back wall and the front wall. I was liking it better all the time. And, yes, once the blocks were applied, I then permanently installed the lanterns by the front door.



Here's a little closer look:


So, now I have three walls done and am looking down the length of the side wall. What I am left with is the wires and battery back for the interior lights that I will need to find some way to hide while still having access to change the battery.



So - how will I hide these? Well, I took a look at the electric meter box at the back of our own house (and yes, when taking the picture I realized it was time to get a can of spray paint and refresh this too!). It looked like something that could work.


That's just a downspout to the left of it so I didn't need to be concerned with that. I took measurements of the box, gathered some bristol board (poster board?) and a paper straw and started to see what I could do.


So far, so good. I will make a top for it that will hinge, paint it up and show you the results on next Tuesday's post. Please keep your fingers crossed for me because, to be honest, the battery holder just BARELY fits into this little box. Also, I need to find something to use for the clear glass dome in front where the numbers from the electric meter can be read. Hmm - I do have an idea there - I will let you know if it works. I'm off now to see if Netflix still carries Joy of Painting shows. I think I need a little of the soothing voice of Bob Ross. Until next week, keep safe! TTFN!! - Marilyn D.

14 comments:

  1. Las paredes han quedado genial. Raras veces un problema resulta ser una buena solución.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, Isabel, en este caso realmente fue un pequeño accidente feliz. Soy una persona muy afortunada! ¡Abrazos!

      Delete
  2. I love it, Marilyn! It really does look like melting ice! The electric meter is going to look wonderful, also. I used a cabochon dome for the meter dial on my garden shed so there's an idea if yours doesn't pan out.
    We have a family photo with my grandparents, all seven of their kids and all of us grandkids from the 70's. It's on a mirrored background and everyone except my grandpa had Bob Ross hair. He was a cool dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting tidbit about Bob Ross's hair: he spent 20 years in the US air force with a buzz cut. After he got out and grew tired of the wild, permed hairdo, he couldn't get it cut because they had made his silhouette, with the big hair, part of his logo on all of his products. Too funny! Hugs. - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. I would not call this a happy little accident but a very good and well appreciated accident. ;O) This proves that it's sometimes a good idea to sleep one night over a problem, the result the glue caused is just perfect and the effect beautiful. I must say the idea of making the exterior look like an igloo is brilliant.

    I hope you will find a solution to finish your electric meter... I guess I would have ended with just a pile of shoveled snow at the side to hide the wires. *LOL* Well, to me it's always amazing that you have your gas or electric meters outside... not common around here.

    But we know Bob Ross too in Germany and believe it or not - last week I've read an article about him relating to the fact that he died 25 years ago and is still so popular. One of our tv channels features his lessons still repeating them again and again and it's very successful - less because of the paintings but more because of the meditative effect of Ross's voice. The channel director said they would even get mail from blind people who would be thankful about this relaxing format. And although many people think his paintings are kitschy - according to me nothing can be wrong about a happy little tree here and there. ;O)

    Have fun melting more snow blocks!

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Birgit, it is interesting to see how common things are handled in different countries. For the past 20 years we have spent a fair bit of time in Ireland where we rent a house for the month of June most years - a different house each time. There, all of the plumbing pipes run down the outside of the walls. Here in Canada, if we did that our plumbing would be frozen solid for half of the year! Our meters are placed outside so they can be read by the electric or gas company employees. Many cities are finally going with digitized meters which will not require someone to come and physically read them at their location so newer houses will probably start building without exterior meters. Times are changing - even here! Big hugs, Birgit! - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  4. I really like how the foam stone turned out! It even has something of a gleam to it like actual ice. Or at least that's how it appears in pictures. Good luck with your meter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. Yes, in the areas where the glue really melted the foam, it is actually shiny - almost translucent. I am so very pleased with this happy little accident! Cheers! - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  5. Las paredes han quedado genial, me encanta el resultado !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo también, Eloisa. ¡Estoy tan contenta de no haberlos arrancado cuando vi por primera vez que la espuma se estaba derritiendo! Feliz pequeño accidente, de hecho! ¡Grandes abrazos! - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  6. Una maravillosa fatalidad la del pegamento,ya que ahora parecen auténticos bloques de hielo!!
    Una gran idea la de la pequeña caja para esconder los cables,deseando ver lo que continúa!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, Pilar, realmente parecen hielo. ¡Ojalá pudieras verlos en la vida real! ¿Dónde está mi transportador Star Trek cuando lo necesito? *sonreír* - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  7. Bob Ross would be Sooooooo Proud of you Marilyn! :D
    The blocks of Ice are PERFECT for this project and the contrast of the white against the red door and lanterns is
    Really Stunning!

    and IF in the future, you are looking for a good adhesive for styrofoam try using Fabic-tak from Walmart/Michael's. It sets up quickly just like Quick Grip but won't melt the foam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip - thank you so much, Elizabeth. I will definitely need to use it in the future since, after this project, I still have 4 more to go in the North Pole series!!

      Delete