Saturday 13 February 2021

Getting back at it

 Hi everyone.  I know I should feel guilty for not posting anything since November but, truth be told, I really haven't accomplished much since then either!  I have been "lurking" on other sites though and it seems to me that many of us seem to have had a bit of a "slump".  Maybe we were just so tired and bored of being cooped up with all the restrictions we've been under, causing us to enter a feedback loop where, since we couldn't do much, we didn't feel like doing much.

I'm glad to see that we're starting to come around again with more people back at their blogs.

I have continued to meet via Skype on Wednesday afternoons with my mini friends Marijke and Louise but it didn't seem like I was accomplishing much.  However, even though it is still only February, I'm beginning to feel like spring is not that far off and that has gotten me motivated again.

Reading Jodi Hippler's latest post I chuckled when she mentioned in an answer to a comment left on her blog, that she always starts off at at great pace but then starts to taper off as she nears the end and it gets harder to finish up all the little details when she what she really wants is to start a new project.  I'm just like that!  Okay - confess now - how many of you are too?

Well, I do want to get on to another project so, now that I am finally back at it again, I am determined to put a push on the North Pole Postal Service so I can then start something new.  

I have accomplished a few little things this last couple of weeks.  I made a lot of letters for the post office, and, thanks to Louise providing me with a sheet of iron-on stencil paper, I also made some mail bags to hold these letters.  Of course, the bags will be filled mostly with a wad of filler with letters mostly on top but hey - it's a start!


I also got started on putting together a few elves to get me started.  I will be using 4 elves and one human in this particular scene.  This will be my first attempt at making people for my scenes, although these will be made from kits I just have to put together and dress.  In the future, I would like to give a try to make my own figures.  I have a book from famous dollmaker Jamie Carrington as well as a wonderful book on dressing and wigging dollhouse dolls.  It looks like it would be fun to do although I recognize it will be a big learning curve but hey - - I'm not going anywhere!

Two of the dolls I have have articulated heads while the other two are fixed.  I have no idea where the articulated ones came from because I bought them second-hand but if anyone has any idea where I could get kits like these I would greatly appreciate it!  I like them much better than the fixed head ones.


Today I added numbers to the mailbox slots, glued in some of the numerous envelopes I had made, and then glued the mail cabinet into its corner.



This week I hope to get the back door installed, maybe build a small sorting table, add shelves in the back room to hold parcels, and possibly add some additional lighting as I think the back room may end up a little darker than I have in mind.

Please send encouraging vibes my way so my renewed interest and energy doesn't drop like a stone again!  And I will send them right back to all of you so perhaps we can all re-energize each other again.  We need to keep the blog postings coming!  Until next week - Big hugs!  TTFN! - Marilyn


18 comments:

  1. Me alegra que vuelvas a sentirte animada! Es cierto que todo se paralizó un poco con los encierros, la situación es muy deprimente y nos repercute animicamente.
    Pero es tan agradable volver a ver los post en los blogs! Me gustan las sacas que contendrán las cartas con los deseos para navidad y esas casillas que van llenándose de ellas.
    Ánimo y adelante, en cuanto termines podrás empezar algo nuevo!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por el ánimo, Pilar. Por mucho que me guste este proyecto, estoy más que listo para terminarlo y pasar a uno nuevo. Creo que todos llegamos a esa etapa en algún momento. ¡Grandes abrazos!

      Delete
  2. While lockdowns have been difficult it does provide additional, no guilt time to work on miniature projects. Wonderful to see that you have begun to create the figures to go into this happy North Pole scene. Christmas is a magical time of the year and this project is going to capture that once completed...looking forward to seeing it unfold as you move towards the completion. Love the Canada Post mail bags which will be a charming addition to the post office.
    Cheers and happy creating, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alayne - I should have had a lot of time to get this project finished but I just couldn't seem to get myself motivated. Now that I have begun again, I can feel my enthusiasm increasing with each little task completed. I do so hope it ends up looking like what I have in my head! Fingers crossed! - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Lurking can be a lot of fun. I love your little mail slots. The white and red is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. Yes, lurking is not only fun, I find it so inspirational not to mention how much I learn from others while reading other blogs. Mini makers are so generous with their ideas, advice and tutorials. What a wonderful group of people we are fortunate enough to be involved with! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Getting done with a project is the part I for sure dislike the most. As long as I'm working on it I can have fun, make plans, struggle with my limited skills... but when it's done it's just standing around. ;O) It's good to see you back into miniature making and I really liked to see your mail sorting shelf - with all those beautiful Christmas letters. But it reminded me that I'll need to face making loads of Christmas wishlists for my Christmas House project which will contain a wishlist sorting machine... hopefully. Keep on having fun!

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Birgit - that sounds like an amazing project! I love the idea of a "wish list sorting machine". I need one of those myself since my wish list is always so much fuller than my pocketbook! *smile* - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  5. Such fun, Marilyn! I'm so glad to see you back at it again! Can't wait to see the dolls!!!
    I have not been able to classify why I had to stay away from minis and my computer for so many weeks there, but I think you are right that many of us were fighting something. Hopefully, spring is just around the corner, the pandemic fight will be making positive progress and we'll all be back in our element again! A little blue sky, sunshine and birdsong will do us all a world of good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Jodi. There is definitely a reason they call spring the "season of renewal". I certainly feel my energy and enthusiasm returning when I think that spring is just around the corner. May we all feel a little boost once it arrives and, yes, once we can put this pandemic behind us as well. Stay safe and healthy and keep making your incredible miniatures! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. ¡Pues mucho ánimo! Va a ser un proyecto divertido y se empieza a detectar la esperanza e ilusión que hay en esas cartas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias Isabel por animarme! ¡Creo que he doblado la esquina y he recuperado mi mini entusiasmo! Espero terminar este proyecto y comenzar el siguiente. ¡Manténgase sano y salvo! - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. El proyecto es precioso y me alegra que lo retomes.
    Me encantan las casillas con sus cartas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Eloisa. Ha sido un proyecto divertido, ¡pero me alegrará verlo terminado! ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Thanks for your ideas! One day I want to make one as nice as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you're being entirely too kind. Since I've only been doing minis since 2014 I am so very envious of all of the wonderful talent out there and only pray I have enough years left to be half as good as most of you out there. I do appreciate your encouragement though. I will try to live up to it. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. This project is lovely, I like your mail bags. Yes I taper off as I near the end, reluctant to finish all the little details. I've been working on dolls house number 2 (in between other projects) since 2015! and if I'm honest I'm bored with it now, but it's nearing completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Polly. Yes, I can sympathize with you. I have been working on the Post Office since last summer and I have so many other project ideas rolling through my head right now. Patience - that's what I need - patience! Hugs - Marilyn

      Delete