Wednesday 17 February 2021

Post Office Progress

 I'm a little like the proverbial tortoise.  I know that slow and steady eventually wins the race so I continue to work away on the North Pole Postal Service.  I expect to have it completed by the end of February, if luck continues to be on my side!

When I closed off my last post I said I hoped to get the back door installed, maybe build a sorting table and some shelves in the back room, and perhaps add a little lighting to the back room as well.

I didn't build the table or shelves but I did manage to finally get my back door hinged properly into the door frame.  I didn't actually install the frame into the opening yet because I will be running some wiring for the extra lighting first.  

I had an inspiration photo for the back door which showed an industrial door that, while it looks like it is in 3 parts, the two pieces on the left are actually together and the single piece on the right is hinged separately.  This allows a larger opening for bringing bigger items in or out of the back room (like those large mail bags full of cards and letters).    For the glass above the door, I once again used the plastic I had saved from a package of bakery cookies I had bought at our local grocery store.  I used the same plastic for glass in the craftsman-style lights I made for the front room of the post office.  I really like the faceted look it provides.  I think it would also look good for glass in a set of vintage kitchen cupboards.


My next step is to make a handle for the door and a couple of deadbolts before I install the whole thing in its final position.

Before I do that, of course, I have to finish installing the last of my lighting.  Because there is no ceiling or ceiling joists in this building, I was stumped as to what I should do to add more light into the back room.  I had finally installed the trim at the top of the long wall on that room and thought that a string of lights right under the trim might provide the light I was looking for but how would I make that happen?  

I pulled out a package of those teeny little LED lights with the very thin, easily bendable wire.  The light string had 20 lights along its length - but the length was really too long for the room and the lights were placed quite far apart.  I tried folding the length in half and twisting it together so the extra 10 lights sat between the first 10 - still too long.  So then I bent it in half again, twisting together.  Still too long and I didn't like the look.  So I untwisted the whole thing and straightened the wire back out again.  Then I took a wooden skewer I usually use for cooking brochettes and started to wrap the wire tightly around and around, being sure to keep the coils pushed tightly together.  I like it!  


It may seem like an odd choice for some, but I think it will work perfectly if I tuck it up tightly against the molding at the top of the long wall.  We'll see how it looks in next week's posting!  

While we're on the subject of lighting, I also wanted to add an outdoor light near the back door.  One of these days I will learn to plan for these things before I start a project, not as an afterthought!  But then, that would ruin my perfect record of "flying by the seat of my pants", wouldn't it? *smile*  

In my stash I had a great light, made by Lighting Bug, which I purchased from Shelley at Freedom Miniatures almost two years ago.  It has a more industrial feel to it with it's slightly tarnished metal finish and a bare light bulb.  I loved it when I saw it even though I didn't know yet how I would use it.  When I decided it would be perfect for this project, the only issue was that it would be unusual for an outdoor light not to have some sort of cover over it to protect it from the elements.  So, I decided to add a top over the bulb.  I am using the little white plastic pull tab from a milk carton to make this top piece.  Once I have it in position I will paint it silver then tone it down and tarnish it a bit with a little burnt umber paint, then seal it.  I will definitely have this done for next week's post so keep your fingers crossed for me that it actually works like I see it in my head!


Still on the theme of lighting, I still had the wires and battery pack for one set of lights in the service area of the post office sitting exposed at the side of the building.  For the lights by the front door I had built a bench to hide the battery box from view.  For the lights on the other wall of the service area, and the bathroom lights, I built a water metre to hide the battery pack.  What could I do to hide this other set?  

In the end, I went online and found a picture of a front view of a Canada Post mail box, and also found a side view.  Inserting these pictures into Power Point, I used the horizontal flip option to make a mirror image of the side piece, then cut and paste so I would have a back piece (although since it is going against a wall, this wasn't strictly necessary).  Then I connected them side by side and used the "group" function.  I re-sized the whole piece until it was the size I thought it should be and printed it off on regular computer paper.


Then I built the body of the mail box from mat board, and wrapped the paper pattern around it.


I cut the centre piece of paper from the front as I had built the frame so I could put a drawer in the bottom to hold the battery pack.  I added small vertical strips to this bottom portion, including the separate front piece, a horizontal piece across the top of these, and painted them grey to resemble the bottom of an actual Canada Post box.  When this part was done, I glued the box in place against the wall of the building.


Then I punched out a hole in the side and glued the on/off button in place, slid the battery holder in the drawer, and slid the drawer in place.  Mission accomplished - battery hidden!


So - even though progress appears to be slow, every step forward brings us closer to the project completion.  With the end of February drawing ever closer, I will be giving it my best effort to finish the last details.  Good luck to me!!  And happiness and good health to everyone else!  TTFN!! - Marilyn

16 comments:

  1. That door is sooooo cool. Love how that looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. It wasn't easy to get this one hinged properly but I finally did it. I need to research a little more on old handles and locksets to finish it off. Little by little - I'm finally getting it done! *smile* - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Me gusta mucho el aspecto de la puerta! Y la manera de "esconder" la batería de las luces, con ése buzón es genial!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Pilar. Estoy contento con cómo resultaron, especialmente porque había probado varias otras ideas para ocultar la batería que no funcionó. ¡Me alegro de que este finalmente lo haya hecho! ¡Mantenerse a salvo! - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Muy bonita la puerta y muy ingenioso el sistema para ocultar los elementos eléctricos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel. ¡A veces tengo una idea que realmente funciona! Disfruto esos momentos cuando suceden. *sonreír* - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Such wonderful progress and such clever solutions to the lighting! When you're this successful with "afterthoughts", why change methods? I LOVE the mailbox battery holder! So cute! Best of luck with the other string and fixture - can't wait to see!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jodi. I hope when I do see them they look the way they do in my head. It doesn't always work that way. But, as Bob Ross would say - there are no mistakes, just happy little accidents! Hugs. - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Your North Pole Post Office is so cute. I understand tortoise speed, I work the same way, but I enjoy the process more than the finished piece. Your lighting solution is very clever. I’ve been working fairy lights into some of my projects. When the length is too long, I just cut off the extra. Then you can fasten the extra length to another 3 V battery holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherrill. Yes, I had first thought I would just cut off the excess lighting but, for this purpose, I found the actual lights were spaced so far apart that they wouldn't have provided enough light in the back room. I certainly struggled with how to use the whole length to provide as much light as possible without having all the extra wire hanging everywhere. This week I will see if my final solution will actually work. Keep your fingers crossed for me! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. I've read above that you need crossed fingers for your light solution to work - here you have mine, all crossed for you because I really hope this will work as I like your solution to wrap the long wire. You've made so much stunning progress, the door turned out awesome - but what I like the most is the way you've hidden this battery. So clever... and to me being German very interesting to learn about Canadian mailboxes. So colourful... and smart to have postal codes on - but best of all: They're red; just perfect for a Christmas project (in my country they're plain yellow)! Have fun with your next steps... and don't stress yourself, March would also be a wonderful moment to finish this. ;O)

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in , Birgit. It's always so nice to find out about many of the common things in other countries. Besides being such an entertaining hobby, miniatures can really open up a whole world to us. Even more fun! Thank you for keeping your fingers crossed for me. The way I work, the more luck that is sent my way, the better! Big hugs. - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Your lights solutions are impressive especially the way you shortened the string. I needed this idea and may use it, with your permission.
    I also love the mailbox with the hidden battery inside. By the way, in Israel we also have red mailboxes outside post offices, only ours are round. I love your project, it already looks awesome.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Drora! Absolutely you may use any idea you find here since it's for your own use. I "borrow" ideas often from the many talented miniaturists I follow as, I suspect, do many of us. When I actually borrow an idea for a piece of furniture or an entire room box, I make sure I give credit for the original pattern but there is no "pattern" or copyrighted idea with this solution so, if it is useful, go for it!

      I love the round mailboxes I see in pictures from all around the world. I think they are so attractive whereas ours are just square boxes. I guess the good news is that they are clearly recognizable as being Canadian. *smile* Thank you for your visit. I'm off now to check out what all my mini friends are working on! Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Your mailbox is great. I like what you did with the lighting strip, it's wonderful how we manage to find solutions :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where there's a will, there's a way! - And we're nothing if not determined when it comes to finding that way! Thanks for dropping in. Cheers - Marilyn

      Delete