Tuesday 23 February 2021

Oh, how easy it is to digress.....

 ...and I am a master at it!  If there was a world championship in digression, I would have the top spot nailed!  But this time I have good reasons.

I have done a little more work on the North Pole Postal Service but I am going to wait to show the progress until I have a lot more done. So - what have I been working on?  Well, that's something I can't show you right now.  March 15th is my friend, Louise's birthday and I am making her birthday gift so I don't want to show it on the blog either.  At least until after March 15th. 

So, to make sure I don't get out of the habit of a weekly blog post, I thought I would share some of my own inspirations with you.  Tonight, it will be a few of my earliest miniature artisan inspirations.  I am sure that most of you will already be familiar with them but, I guess,  as a relative newcomer to this artistic expression, I was a little late to the party  *smile*  So, here are 5 (because I have so many I had to force myself to limit it to 5!) of my inspirations, in no particular order because I find them all so inspiring:

Miniature Rooms Company - Robert Off's work was probably my first "find" in the world of miniatures.  I was absolutely blown away by his attention to detail, his use of perspective and his ability to portray real life in 1:12th scale to such perfection.  His work totally blows my mind!


Americana in Miniature
- After being completely enchanted by Robert Off's work, I started to search for more examples of this incredible hobby.  That is when I found the work of Connie Sauve.  The title of Connie's Shutterfly pages is so appropriate because she truly does capture so much of regular life - mostly through nostalgic interpretations of a time past - evocative of a simpler time many of us remember from our childhood. Again, I am in awe of the talent exhibited in her work.


Studio E - Oh, Elizabeth, what can I say about your work??  When I first stumbled across the beautiful gardens of #43 Dolphin Street I was transported to a place I wanted to spend all day, every day visiting.  Then I went back to the beginning of the project and explored the beautiful interiors and was so amazed at your exquisite work.  I then went back to the beginning of your blog posts and read all the way through and still follow it regularly to this day.  (Villa Leone is awesome!) It is no wonder you have received so many awards for your work.  Inspiring cannot begin to describe it!


My Miniature Madness - Visiting Jodi Hippler's blog is an incredible treat.  Her creative mind and ingenuity results in some of the most amazing pieces of miniature art that range from beautiful interpretations of what could easily be real life buildings to fantastical pieces that will bring a smile to your face and joy to your heart.  Topping it all off is her ability to use some of the latest technology to bring her pieces to life, from laser cutting, to using a Cricut to 3D printing.  She so makes me want to be braver and try my hand at some of these techniques myself.  I'm sure you'll feel the same.


Jennifer's Miniatures - Jennifer's Facebook page entries provide so many tutorials that showcase a plethora of simply beautiful pieces.  With her detailed pictures and instructions she truly does leave me feeling that maybe I really can do some of this incredible work.  From faux finishes to wonderful lighting projects, furniture, décor and even small building projects, her site is a go-to for me when I need a little encouragement to try something new.  I will always be grateful.


Oh why, of why did I limit myself to 5!!!  There are so many of you out there in our world of miniatures that do incredible work and I have only just begun to mine the treasure that is online.  I have favourite blogs I like to visit from artisans from Spain, from Australia, Russia, New Zealand, France, Germany, England... and so many others that are just so numerous, not to mention others from right here in Canada and the USA.  Please forgive me for not highlighting each and every one of you - but I think Blogger probably has a limit of just how big a post can be.  

Rest assure, I love you all!!  You are all so talented and so very generous with your advice, instruction and encouragement, you make my life so much richer and I adore each and every one of you!  Thank you all so much for the joy you bring into my life!

TTFN!! - Marilyn





16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful subject to post about, Marilyn! I am so honored to have made your list and am also inspired by the other folks you have included here. It is through inspiration that we find the drive to try new things and to explore our unique creativity. The best part about the internet is that now we all have access to each other's work and so the inspiration has expanded exponentially! The other wonderful thing about artisans who love minis is that they encourage and teach one another openly. It truly is amazing, and your blog and your work are truly inspiring, too!
    Good luck with all of the many things you have on the go! Can't wait until you can share them with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi: How could I not include you in this post? You were one of my earliest internet finds and I was awestruck with what you can do. Most of all, since I started working on minis in 2014 you have always been there whenever I had a question or needed advice. You're right - we have a wonderful network of people who are so generous with their time and talent. What a wonderful way to spend our time! Big hugs. - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  2. Pues estoy de acuerdo contigo. Son verdaderas inspiraciones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, Isabel, como tú también. Ojalá tuviera espacio para incluir a TODOS los artistas increíbles que admiro tanto. Estoy muy contento de haber encontrado recientemente tu blog también. ¡Hermoso trabajo! ¡Grandes abrazos! - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Coincidimos en los 5 artistas del mundo de las miniaturas! Y estoy de acuerdo contigo, en que poner a tantísimos artistas como hay en nuestro hobbie, haría una lista muy, muy extensa! En la mía estarías tú también formando parte de ella!
    Maravilloso nuestro mundo!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Pilar, eres muy dulce al decirlo, pero seré la primera en admitir que tengo un largo camino por recorrer antes de sentirme digno de llevar las bolsas de herramientas para estos increíbles artistas.
      Pero, la conclusión es que me estoy divirtiendo en el camino y conocer a tanta gente maravillosa como usted y tantos otros, ha sido una gran ventaja. ¡Disfrutaremos el viaje juntos! ¡Abrazos! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous post Marilyn! It is amazing how time just melts away when you fall down the 'online-mini-rabbit-hole' isn't it?
    And now I have a couple more fabulous pages to study for never ending inspiration.
    Thanks Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can certainly spend hours trolling through from one mini site to another. So many great sites (and mini artists!), so little time!! I'm glad to have introduced you to a couple of my inspiration sites that you may not have seen before. Be sure to let me know what you think - and to recommend your favourites as well! I love sharing ideas! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. I so agree with these miniature artists and their wonderful sites but would absolutely have to add Giac's incredible 'Late Victorian English Manor Dollhouse' to the list. Hours can pass by looking at all the amazing work done by so many talented individuals...I could only dream of being half as accomplished! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Alayne! Since there are just too many to choose from, I had decided to include the ones who most inspired me at the beginning of my journey. I came across Giac's blog a few years later and his English Manor dollhouse is absolutely incredible. The techniques he uses to create faux finishes like mahogany, marbling, etc. are indeed the touch of a master. HIs vision and ability to bring it to life is second to none. And all this talent is packaged in the body of one of the sweetest young men on the planet. (Yes, my dearest Giac, I know you said you're starting to feel old but since you'll always be younger than my own children, I will continue to refer to you as "young man") Big hugs to Alayne - and to you and Jo too, Giac!) - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. Wow, you're one tough lady being able to make your personal Top Five! ;O) Just kidding, it was fun to follow you on this special trip down memory land and I really agree with you about the incredible inspiration and knowledge so generously shared in our community. Regarding how we all develop over the years trying new things and struggling with stuff we never would have dreamed about ever being possible is incredible - and much of this has to do with inspiration from others. Have fun with your secret project!

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Birgit - they are all truly wonderful but one of the reasons I chose these 5 was because they were the first I had ever really read (probably between 2011 to 2014) which made me think this would be a hobby I would like to try. Based on the enthusiasm they spurred in me, in 2012 I tried making a tiny scene in a teacup then, in 2014 I made what I consider my first miniature room box - my New Orleans/Mardi Gras loft. I have never looked back since. After my 2014 make I really started trolling through blogs where I found so many others out there who inspired me and gave me hope that I could develop the skills needed to continue. I continue to learn so much from all of you who are so willing to share your talents, expertise and advice. Thank you all so much for bringing me to this world of minis. - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Hello Marilyn, I'm familiar with Elizabeth and Jodi, they do fantastic work, as do the others on your list, and many others I visit. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're doing for your friend's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed, Polly. There are so many truly talented people out there doing work that leaves me breathless - and hoping I can someday come even a little close to their results. I hope I don't disappoint you with what I am making for my friend. *smile* - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. I've been absent from Blogland for awhile, but what a surprise and an Honor to have made your Top Five List- THANK YOU Marilyn ❤️
    I'm forever discovering new and talented artisans which quite honestly,leave me feeling like a rookie, yet even so, it make me VERY HAPPY that you continue to enjoy Green Dolphin Street as well as my blog!
    I must tell you too, that last week I was needing to locate something from inside the GDS dollhouse and as I rotated the open back towards me, I stopped and took a good look inside and began to remind myself of all the work (and FUN) that went into the construction of each of the rooms AND (more importantly)- that I still liked it!
    I also saw that it needed dusting BADLY, however I'm saving that uninspiring housekeeping project-
    for another day! 😉
    Blessings

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you, Elizabeth. I check your blog regularly but understand when a person needs to take a break. I have been surprised that, during this pandemic when I have a lot more time on my hands, it took me a long time to get back working on my minis. You would think I would be going great guns at finishing up the many projects I have on the go but for several months I just couldn't get myself moving. I hope that spring being on the horizon - even down east where it arrives later than in your neck of the woods - will give us all feelings of renewal and energy and get us back on track. But, of course, I don't want to think about dusting my mini creations. Where's the fun in that??Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete