Tuesday 13 April 2021

At least it's fun!

 That's what I say to myself when I look at the long list of things still left to do for the Postal Service.  I thought I would have more time this week but, as often happens, other things demand my time and take me away from my beloved miniatures!  This week it's trying to prepare a grant application for our Irish Association.  Man the paperwork involved for just a little bit of money!!  It's amazing - and very time consuming!

So, this week will be a short update:

My last entry about the Postal Service showed the light fixture I wanted to use for the back entrance.  However, it was just a bare bulb and I felt it needed a cover over it - one that retained a little industrial look.  So, I took one of those pull tops from a milk carton, cut off the pull tab, and cut a slit in the solid top remaining.  Then I slid it over the arm of the light fixture and used narrow pieces of Bristol board to cover the slit I made and to look like metal framing.  Then I painted the added pieces grey, then silver, then dirtied it up with brown powder.  I like the way it eventually turned out.




As you can see, I also made and added a sign by the back door as well.  I see from the picture I have a tiny bit of red that needs to be touched up with white along the bottom edge.  You always notice these little things AFTER you take the pictures.  *smile*

I also installed the back door but I needed to add door handles and locks to it.  For the outside door handle and the lock I just used pieces of mat board and a piece of copper wire.  I etched the shape of a key hole in the lock portion then painted them both a dark brown.


One of my favourite things was the little doorbell I made for delivery drivers to ring for service.  I used a small gear that looked like a snowflake to me, a bead spacer, and a scrapbooking brad.  Isn't it just the cutest!!  I also am happy with the way it looks with the door handle and lock in place as well.


The last thing I was able to accomplish this week was getting the trim around the back door and building a salt/sand box that is really just there to hide the battery from the light above but I will be putting a rusty bucket and shovel next to it so the workers can spread some on the ice to prevent slipping!



I did lay some sandpaper in the entryway and will paint it black to look like asphalt before dirtying it up with a snow, salt and sand mixture.  It's a busy spot with lots of foot traffic!  I can't have it too pristine, can I?

So - sorry I didn't get more done this week.  I hope I can get back to work on it after I finish this grant application, then get the newsmagazine ready for the publisher, then get the annual report done, then get the......it just never ends!  I think I'm going to come out of retirement and go back to work!  These volunteer activities are killing me!  Hope everyone has a great week!  TTFN!!! - Marilyn

34 comments:

  1. Marilyn, la burocracia es tediosa y además consume mucho tiempo y paciencia!! Aún y así has hecho unos estupendos avances, la pequeña lámpara luce preciosa así como la manija y la cerradura de la puerta! Y la idea del cajón de sal para esconder las baterías de las luces es perfecta!!!
    Ánimo y que soluciones pronto lo de la subvención!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias por los ánimos, Pilar! Desearía no poder hacer nada más que miniaturas todo el día, todos los días, pero, lamentablemente, es poco probable que eso suceda. Seguiré tratando de sacar el mayor tiempo posible porque me da mucha alegría. ¡Que tu semana también sea alegre! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. I love how this project looks so far. Everything looks so realistic, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a high compliment indeed, Alexandra. Thank you so much for such kind words. They give me the encouragement to get back at it and get it finished. Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Even though I never saw a Canadian Post Office, I believe that if I ever visit Canada, I'll recognize it because of your project. I love the lamp light and the salt box.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Drora - if you do ever visit and make it all the way to my little East coast province, you won't have to try to spot one yourself - I'll be your tour guide! Wouldn't that be fun!? Unfortunately, the real post offices are just ordinary buildings and not made of ice blocks. I guess that wouldn't be too practical in the extreme heat of our summers, would it? Tee hee hee. But, of course, ice is the perfect building material for the North Pole, right? Have a great week. - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Kudos to you for a fantastic and fun Canadian project...love all the details from the light cover to the doorbell! Well done and so 'charminis'! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alayne. It's been a fun project but now I really need to put a push on and get it finished! So many projects, so little time! Cheers!- Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Me encanta todo lo que has hecho, y utilizando materiales simples.
    Gran trabajo !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Eloisa. Realmente prefiero el desafío de intentar hacer cosas por mí mismo con lo que puedo conseguir fácilmente. Es más divertido y también más económico. * sonrisa * ¡Que tengas una gran semana! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Esas palabras viniendo de ti Isabel, significan mucho. Gracias por tanta amabilidad. ¡Grandes abrazos! - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Your Postal Service -project seems interesting. You have done a good job so far. The lamp and the salt/sand box are perfect.
    - Sirkka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, Sirkka. I'm ready to get on to a new project so I must get my act together and get this one finished. I hope you're having a really good week! - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Brilliant light fixture, brilliant bell and just perfect for a post office located at the North Pole, brilliant salt box and brilliant method for creating an asphalt entry surface! You have employed so many charming details into this project and come up with some very clever ways to make all the things! I can't wait to see it dirtied up and looking like an authentic shipping door in the frigid north! Best of luck with the grant application! The Irish Association is lucky to have you to help them navigate the process! Hope you find time to get back to this wonderful project soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jodi! I'm anxious to get it finished. It has been fun though. #2 in my North Pole series will be Santa's Workshop and it will be another big one. I may have to fit a completely different project in between so I don't get tired of the North Pole theme - - as if!! Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. Yes Marilyn, the little doorbell is cute, and the light is brilliant. I haven't done any miniature work for ages, the weather has been so good I'm doing lots of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you, Polly. We would love to expand out garden but are holding back since we have our name on the waiting list for an apartment. When it comes through we will be putting our house up for sale. Not much sense expanding gardens when we won't be here to enjoy them! Enjoy the sunshine and your beautiful gardens! - Marilyn

      Delete
  10. ¡Que bonita fachada! me encanta esa pequeña lámpara que has hecho. Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Rosa María. Resultó como lo había imaginado en mi cabeza, así que estoy feliz con él. Ahora, pasemos al siguiente paso ... ¡Abrazos! - Marilyn

      Delete
  11. Your light (the whole thing actually) looks amazing! What a neat way to make an industrial light!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Fran. For this particular installation, the bare bulb look just didn't look right without the cover over top. I was able to match the colouring and aging look on the cover pretty well to the finish on the arm of the lamp so it worked out well. Hope you have a good week! - Marilyn

      Delete
  12. It’s those little details that really add interest to a project, but they do take time. I’d say you accomplished quite a bit considering your other obligations. That little snowflake doorbell is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherrill. You're right, it's the little details I notice in mini projects. They add so much, considering how tiny they are. BTW, I love your little fairy garden scene. The bed you made is so sweet but put in place with the other accessories puts it over the top. So well done! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  13. Take my word - this is the most wonderful and brilliant way to hide a battery box I've ever seen! And so thoughtful and realistic, I can only agree that in such a busy spot with many visitors and workers pavement safety is a big issue.

    I am also in awe with the way you've created the lamp and all the other details for the door are terrific. And your method for the path to the post office sounds great, I can hardly wait to see it finished. Oh, and I agree: Such a lovely bell button. Btw thanks for giving me a good laugh... I think we all can tell a tale or two about the total lack of mercy cameras have. Things that are hardly or even not visible in real life can appear like painting desasters in photos... Keep on having fun - even when struggling with bureaucracy.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving me a nice chuckle this morning when I got up. Yes, cameras truly are unforgiving - one more reason I won't let anyone take my picture!! And also thank you for the kind words. I only hope I can live up to the compliments my wonderful mini friends have given me. They warm my heart! Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  14. The lamp and doorbell are just wonderful! This whole project is....
    I'm at a loss for words here...just so beautifully detailed.
    Hugs, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Maureen, what kind words. Thank you so much for your comments but also your support and encouragement through the years since we first met. I do so value your friendship. Big hugs. - Marilyn

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan. I think it works well for this particular project. It's not always easy to find a pre-made light exactly like you have in your mind so sometimes we have to improvise! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  16. This is a cute roombox - Love the red door and sand box. Love everything! Thank you for the light tutorial.
    You did a wonderful job on everything!!!
    Mini huggs,
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Conny. I am glad you are coming along the journey with me. Although, I have to admit, I have reached that dreaded spot where I am now looking for the off-ramp. Tee hee hee. I always reach a stage where I start dreaming about the next project before I finish the one I'm working on. I must stay focussed! Wish me luck! - Marilyn

      Delete
  17. 😲 Quel travail magnifique, amazing job ! Tout se voit dans les détails. Vous êtes une véritable passionnée.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quels mots merveilleusement gentils. Merci beaucoup. Je suis heureux que vous appréciez ce projet et j'ai hâte de le terminer. - Marilyn

      Delete