Tuesday 11 May 2021

My new definition of 'downsizing'

 Hi everyone!  I didn't post last week because I have been working on the landscaping and finishing the interior of the Post office and figured you were getting bored of seeing the slow progress.  I will post about it again when I finish all the building and landscaping and start to make the Post Office worker elves and customers.

In the meantime, I had such a pleasant mini week!  First, my latest issue of Dollhouse and Miniature Scene arrived, then I got two packages in the mail on the same day.  

Several weeks back I was fortunate to win Ricardo's (Mis Minis Libros) prize draw and his package arrived from Spain. Inside I found 3 of his wonderful books which open and are readable (in Spanish of course but that just adds to the allure!).  Also inside was a lovely table he made using marquetry.  He took the table apart so it could be flat packed for mailing which made it so much easier.  I was about to glue it back together but, while admiring the work on the tabletop and base I thought - wouldn't it make a beautiful centrepiece for a floor!  I could install it in my southwest room box then build the rest of the floor around it.  Hmmm, I will leave it for a bit while I think about it.  The work is so lovely I want to find the perfect spot for it, whether I put it back together as a table or use it for a very special centre medallion in the floor.  Either way - I'm so very grateful.. Thank you, Ricardo!


The second package has to do with the title of this post:  My new definition of 'downsizing'.  I have wondered for a long time now what it would be like to build in 1:48 scale.  First of all, just for the challenge, but secondly, if I finish all of the projects I have on the go now in 1:12 scale, there is no way I will have room for them - especially when we sell this house and move into an apartment within the next year.  So - I finally took the plunge and ordered from Petite Properties in England.  Having never made anything in 1:48 scale before, I decided to start with one of their smallest kit - the shepherd's hut.  It came with the base kit for landscaping as well although most of their kits have the building and the base sold separately.  Here is a picture from their website of the kit made up (before landscaping).


I also ordered a small wall hanging cupboard so I could also try out a small piece of furniture to see how I liked working in that scale.  I immediately opened the bag for the little cupboard and got started. 


The instructions were extremely clear and the pieces were cut perfectly and fit together in seconds.  The last part of the instruction was to glue the doors to the front of the cabinet but I stopped and thought about that before I went any further.  First of all, don't I want to at least paint the inside?  Shouldn't there be something inside the cupboard before I glue the doors on?  So, I painted the cabinet and doors and set them aside while I tried to figure out what I could put inside.  Thank heavens for toothpicks and tiny pieces of scrap wood.  This is what it looked like before I put the doors on (please ignore all the little bits of glue that have become visible in these photos.  I will be cleaning those off for sure.)

Here it is with the doors on - again, the messy glue will be removed.  However, I did forget to glue on the teeny door handles.  Will get that done too!


I like it much better with something inside - even though it's just a few little bits that give the illusion of boxes and canisters, at least it's not an empty cupboard.

And, in this picture, you can better see exactly how tiny this cupboard really is.


Yes, it really is that small and yes, it wasn't easy to figure out what to put inside and yes, I loved making it!!!

Next, I opened the packages for the shepherd's hut. I immediately dived in and put together the lamb box and attached it to the base of the hut, as per the instructions which, once again are very clear and include lots of pictures of how to put it together.  The next instruction tells me to attach the side and end walls.  At that point, I once again stepped back and have decided to paint the interior walls, floor, and ceiling before putting it together, then I will finish the outside and build and landscape the base.  


So, tomorrow afternoon is mini day for Louise, Marijke and I so I will work on this little project tomorrow.  So far, what do I think about this 1:48 scale?  I absolutely love it!!!  I can see many more of these little kits in the future.  I hope Petite Properties has a gift certificate option because I know what I will be asking my kids for upcoming birthdays, Christmas, etc.  

In closing for this week, I would be remiss if I didn't include Bruce's contribution for the week.


These would be funny if they didn't capture our cat's behaviour so perfectly!  Or maybe that's EXACTLY why they're funny! Oh well, I love our little Bridie anyway!  Have a great week!  TTFN!! - Marilyn

28 comments:

  1. You have been very lucky to win a marquetry table and books. The tabletop could be of course a beautiful centrepiece for a floor!
    1:48 sized things are very small. Too small for me, but I have the same problem than you: not enought space. The small size is definetly a solution for that, but I am not sure I couldn´t make anything in that size.
    Shepherd's hut is a cute project for you! I am sure you succeed in making it. The cupboard seem to be very tiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am grateful for my lovely prize. I will have to decide its final spot in order to showcase it. Yes, I am thinking that if I want to keep any of my finished projects I will definitely need to switch to a much smaller scale. I do like a challenge! Have a great week, Sirkka! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! Nope nope nope. I'm sure you'll do great with the tiny things...me...again. nope nope nope. I'd break them.

    I can't wait to see how they turn out with your sterling work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sheila. It's going to be so much fun! You must give it a try. I am really liking it and my husband will be pleased if I can cut down on all the 1:12 stuff I have. Time will tell which way I end up going for the future. Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you are tackling something in a small scale and assembling the tiny pieces are going well. Love Petite Properties...I just received their 'La Maison De Ville 144th Micro Scale Kit' and will use it as a break from working on the larger 1:12 Victorian house being built. Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses...Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at that one as well, Alayne. I have plans! My brain is always working in 10 different directions at once and having a new scale to work in is not going to help slow it down any. What fun! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Marilyn, estoy segura que una vez empieces con la escala 1/48 y los kits de Petite properties, no serás capaz de dejarlos!!! Ya ves que a mi me encanta trabajar con ellos, son un reto, pero tus dedos se acostumbrarán a ellos!
    Espero ver pronto con avanzas con la pequeña cabaña del pastor!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Tienes toda la razón, Pilar! ¡Recién estoy comenzando y ya me encanta! He admirado el trabajo que haces y estoy inspirado a ser tan bueno como tú algún día y este pequeño kit sin duda ha despertado mi interés para seguir por este camino. Gracias por el aliento. ¡Abrazos! - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. It always amazes me how small small scale is, Marilyn! But you seem to have big talent with the tiny! I love that you can still look forward to many new future projects and do it in a much smaller living space! The Sheppard's Hut looks like the perfect starting project to explore 1/48 scale, and I am looking forward to following along. Oh! And I am so excited about the characters for the post office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked on it this afternoon during our Wednesday mini time and I am falling in love with it more each time I pick it up. This is definitely a route I want to travel as I move forward although it won't stop me from finishing all the other projects I have in progress or planned in 1/12th scale. I will just try really hard not to add any more 1/12th ones to my list. I already have enough to last me for however many more years I am able to do this, which I hope will be many! Cheers, Jodi! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. Congrats on receiving Ricardo's gifts! And congrats for starting a little 1:48 adventure! ;O) According to my own experiences you've chosen the right place - the kits from Bea Broadwood are very good. They're well explained and fit well. No surprise you've caught a bug... and your family will be happy being already through with thinking about your Christmas gifts... *LOL*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have the 1:48 bug, Birgit, even if I'm only part way through the project. I am really loving it and already planning what to buy as my next one! Have a great week. - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful gift. I wanted to do a marquetry floor in my library but it would have been very expensive and I didn't have the skills to make it. I have great admiration for 1:48 scale work, it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been saying the same thing for years now Polly. I can't believe how quickly I decided it was the way I want to go in the future, once I bit the bullet and accepted the challenge. Give it a try. You might surprise yourself like I did! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. It makes good sense to work in 1:48 scale in anticipation of having a smaller real life space. Some or our Eugene Miniature Club members have made amazing projects, it’s just a different way of looking at our miniatures hobby. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherril, I certainly will enjoy it, I think. However, as you know, I still have plenty of 1:12th scale projects in the hopper waiting to be built so, for a long time to come I will probably be working in both scales. I'll consider the 1:48 ones I do as "palate cleansers" to give me a break from the 1:12 from time to time. They will whet my appetite for more! *smile* - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. Un gran reto hacerlo en una escala tan pequeña pero creo que lo lograrás y saldrás enamorada de ella; tus hijos se sentirán felices de poder tener ya un regalo seguro que es de tu agrado. Felicidades por tan bonitos regalos de Ricardo, disfrutalos.Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gracias, Rosa María, por tus comentarios. Sí, en estos días si mi familia insiste en dar regalos, trato de alentarlos a pensar en certificados de regalo, ya que ciertamente no necesito más "cosas" mientras intentamos reducir el tamaño de nuestras posesiones, ¡excepto mis minis, por supuesto! * sonrisa * ¡Que tengas un gran día! - Marilyn

      Delete
  10. Congrats on winning one of Ricardo's giveaways and you have been very lucky to win a marquetry table and books, I can't wait to see what you will do with this.
    The bug of 1:48 scale bit you, Marilyn, so be cautious, before you know it you've been infected ;O). Your first object in this small scale looks great.
    Stay safe, take care, Marilyn.
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ilona. Yes, I feel lucky indeed. And, yes, I know there is no vaccine against this 1:48 bug that has bitten me but I'm fine with that. If I have to have an affliction, mini-itis would be my top choice! Besides, I think it puts me in very good company. Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  11. Es un proyecto precioso.
    Me encanta esa cabaña, y seguro que conseguirás dominar la escala perfectamente, de hecho el armario te ha quedado genial !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Eloisa. Incluso si no lo domino, me divertiré haciéndolo de todos modos. Al final, eso es lo que hace que este pasatiempo sea tan bueno, ¿no? ¡Abrazos! - Marilyn

      Delete
  12. Enhorabuena por los preciosos regalos de Ricardo.
    Estupendo que asumas nuevos retos. La escala 1:48 parece un estupendo proyecto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel. ¡Solo espero estar a la altura del desafío! ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Delete
  13. I love your definition of down-sizing! Although I'm not about to follow you there, I have too many ambitions for my 1/12 projects yet. At the rate I work, running out of space is not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Megan - I so understand what you mean! I think however, it's not that we work slowly, it's that there are so many other things that pull us in many different directions. I guess that makes the time we do get to spend on our minis that much more precious. Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  14. I love looking at new goodies that come in the mail. congratulations on your gorgeous win! btw The kittys are funny! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! It was just like having a 2nd Christmas - such fun! I love the little cartoons my DH keeps finding for me. They capture the kitty attitude so perfectly and I love my little girl all the more for her rather superior behaviours. :-) - Marilyn

      Delete