Wednesday 19 January 2022

Return of the Market Stall

 With Christmas over, decorations down and housework all caught up with, I am now getting back to working on my market stall I had started in the fall.  When last you saw it I had the basic building done, the inside floor was done and a few shelves were in.  Since then I have had few opportunities to work on it but here's what has been done up to now:

I made a base for the market stall to sit on (in case I would need someplace to hide batteries, of course!), added a few shelves to the back and one on the side, and built some doors.  After finally settling on a name for the little shop I made a sign using a piece of acrylic for the background and some wooden letters I painted to look like metal.  By adding spacers between the acrylic and the building the sign stands out better and provides some shadows behind the letters. Then I started adding chunks of foam around the sides to provide support for snow hills, since the setting for this market stall is meant to be at Christmas time.







I continued to add chunks of foam, then I mixed up some plaster-of-paris and water, soaked strips of paper towel in the mixture and draped them over the chunks of foam to make snow hills.

I made a flat roof to look like it was made from metal with a large skylight in the middle to allow more light into the stall, laid a textured paper on the base at the front of the stall to look and feel like cobblestones, then I mixed paint and white glue 50/50, painted over the "snow" mounds and sprinkled them lightly with white glitter.



Now I have to turn my attention to things to put inside the little shop.  I've started a couple of projects for some slightly larger items for inside.  I made these wooden trees that I plan on hanging ornaments inside.  Here is one finished one and the others don't yet have the ornaments added.



I also had an idea to replicate those sparkly sheer Christmas presents with lights inside that people buy to put outside their front door when decorating for the season.  You know the ones I mean???  Anyway, I made three box frames: 1.5" square, 1" square and 3/4" square.  I painted the wooden frames then wrapped them with sheer ribbon.  Then I put gold sparkly ribbon around them.  I have the two larger ones finished and will cover the little one tomorrow.  Then I have to decide where I want to put them and try to see if I can get some tiny lights inside.  I might put them outside the open doors, or perhaps in the back corner inside which would have the added benefit of providing extra light inside.

   



So, I will finish these two store inventory items and put my thinking cap on for other items I would like to have in the shop - household goods like linens and decorative accessories, plants, Christmas ornaments - who knows where my mind will go?  I look forward to seeing how it will end up - I'm usually the last one to figure it out!!

So, Once again, Bruce's contribution to my blog is to supply another cat image.  This one made me laugh out load as, in our house, and with the number of cats we have had over the years, it is a very familiar event.


So, until my next post, I hope you are all happy, healthy and safe and are geared up for a great year of mini projects!!!  TTFN!!! - Marilyn

12 comments:

  1. Your market stall is lovley Marilyn. The trees are adorable, and the boxes will look magical with lights in them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Polly. I hope I can make the lighting work. I left a small bottom corner of the mesh on each box unglued so that I can slip the lights in - if they work out the way I have in my head! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Hi Marilyn! The stall is looking great! Live the wall finishes inside and out, and the snow piles - what a great idea for building up realistic snow mounds! I must remember that! Also your accessories also look lovely. Have fun coming up with new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shannon and, you know, I am always open for suggestions if you have any ideas for store inventory!!! *smile* - Have a great evening. - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. El puesto de mercado está genial, me encanta como queda y la idea de los montículos de nieve.
    Los arbolitos y las cajas son muy bonitos. Si le pones luz a las cajas luciran muchísimo !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esa es mi esperanza, Eloisa. ¡Ahora necesito terminar esos y hacer muchas otras pequeñas bellezas! ¡Qué tengas un lindo día! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Has hecho un bonito diseño tanto por dentro como por fuera. Esas pequeñas piezas son encantadoras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Isabel. Siempre son las pequeñas cosas las que hacen o deshacen un proyecto, así que tendré que pensar más en lo que debo hacer por dentro. No importa lo que elija, sé que será divertido hacerlo, al menos. ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Oh, your market stall looks wonderful, love how you did the snow banks. Great accessories too. Mini Hugs, Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean. I hope I can jam it full of lots of pretty things! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. I've enjoyed to follow the progress on your stall; you've created a stunning place to create your little shop which calls to be filled with all sorts of miracles. And although I wouldn't need to mention this at all - but I love the Christmas theme. The two ornaments you've created are very creative, the decorative tree with the baubles is a great idea. But the lighted presents are genius! I must admit I don't like those very much in real life gardens but in miniature it's a gorgeous idea. And I admire how you've made them with this sparkling white ribbon and the beautiful golden bows. I hope we'll see more of it soon.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will too, Birgit! I am trying to carve out a little time each day to do something with my market stall, even it is just a small piece every day. And, no, I was not trying to make "puns" out of that last sentence. *smile* I hope you enjoy the final results - whenever they appear! Hugs. - Marilyn

      Delete