Monday 27 September 2021

Back in the saddle again

Okay - to be fair, I wasn't really "out of the saddle" - just enjoying the summer and working on minis sporadically.  My main mini project over the last month has been one I am making as a gift so I didn't want to post anything too early just in case the intended recipient happened to read the blog.  However, I don't think she usually does and since it is nearing the end I will begin posting again.  

Some of you may remember the gift I made for my sister last year for her birthday - a little quilt shop named "Quilty Pleasures" to celebrate not just her birthday but her considerable talent as a quilt maker.  You can find more information on that project by clicking on the label "Quilty Pleasure" in the column on the right.

This was a design I "copied" from Casey Rice's "The Rusty Needle" quilt shop.  Casey was generous enough to share the basic measurements with me several years ago, then I calculated the size and positions of the doors and windows.  My sister loved it and I am hoping this most recent gift project will be loved just as much by the person who will be receiving it.

I borrowed the quilt shop back from my sister to have it as a reference and then built the basic structure as a mirror image of hers.  Here it is under construction:



Where my sister's shop is green, this one is blue.  All else is the same.  I am almost finished the complete construction of the building now.  The pictures below show the two shops side by side.  At that point I had installed the windows, the sign, and finished the outside trim.  Since then, I have installed the interior door trim, the baseboards and the door handles.  By tomorrow, all the interior window trim will be done and the crown molding.  Then it will be time to add all of the shop accessories!!



So, I'm afraid I can't post more tonight.  Again - on the off-chance that the person to whom this gift is going does actually read the post, at least she won't see the final product until she receives it this weekend.  I will be posting all of the rest of the info on this project next Tuesday and will also let you know how the gift was received.  I hope she will love it as much as I loved making it for her!  

Stay safe everyone!  TTFN!!! - Marilyn

18 comments:

  1. Those are adorable. I’m excited to see the interiors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherrill! Keep your fingers crossed for me as I have a couple of ideas for accessories that I don't yet know if they will work or not! You'll know next week, for sure! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. This looks wonderful! I'm with Sherrill, I can't wait to see what you do inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sheila - I do hope your anticipation can be adequately rewarded! I promise I will do my best. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Marilyn is ~F~A~N~T~A~S~T~I~C~! To make one room box from scratch (especially having to guess at most of the measurements) is so amazingly talented, but then to make a sister shop? And in secret? Simply awesome! You have been in the saddle all summer, just on an invisible horse! :O) What a treat to see the shops side by side and I love the witty names! I can't wait to see the next progress post! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Jodi - I feel bad now because I know I am nowhere near talented enough to live up to these expectations -- but I will guarantee I will give it my best shot! My ambition in life is to work hard enough to become even one tenth as skillful as you are with your minis. Big shoes to fill indeed! Big hugs - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. I like the name! From what I've seen so far I'm sure the recipient is going to LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Polly. I do like to use names that make a person stop and smile. Sometimes I think of a name and THEN decide I should make something to go with it. Other times, like with these 2 shops, I figure out the shop first, then decide on names. As with everything I do - it's all just a whim!! I'm just a wild and crazy gal!! *smile* - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Amazing work! I love the two room boxes and look forward to see the goods in the shops.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get locked down here again as our Covid cases are rising. I am hoping to deliver the finished project this weekend but have to travel to do it! Keep your finger crossed for me! Cheers. - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. La fachada es preciosa, me encanta !!!
    El destinatario tiene una gran suerte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Eloisa. ¡Espero que ella sienta lo mismo cuando lo vea! ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Ha quedado precioso. ¡Un buen trabajo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel. Siempre eres tan alentador. Todavía espero que todo salga como espero. Dedos cruzados. - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Se ve increíble,me encanta! Espero poder ver pronto el interior!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lo tengo terminado Pilar y se lo daré a su destinatario hoy o mañana por lo que mostraré las tomas terminadas en el post del martes. ¡Espero que te guste! - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. Beyond beautiful. You are such an amazing miniaturist. Your sister-in-law must have been blown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise. We both know your comments give me much more credit than I deserve. Yes, Jean loves it. She said it was the best present she had ever received. High praise indeed! Hugs - Marilyn

      Delete