Sunday 7 March 2021

Bits and pieces

Okay - I still have very little to show you because I am working on Louise's birthday present(s) so can't show those until after March 15th!  There are a few things I wanted to clear up though. 

First, in response to some questions I got about why I chose the 5 artists I featured in my last post - not that anybody didn't think they were completely deserving, just that the process to choose among so many excellent ones must have been difficult.  Indeed, it would have been but the ones I featured were chosen because they were the first 5 I had actually stumbled upon back in 2014 when I hadn't yet made the jump into making miniatures myself.  I found them so incredible to look at and they gave me the push I needed to start in this hobby myself.  For that I will be eternally grateful to them.

Then, for any of you who see me commenting on your own wonderful posts, I thought you might wonder why I sign off with my name, even though it is shown next to my profile picture, and also why I include where I live.  Well, by reading the number of blogs that I do, I quickly discovered that there are two other Marilyns who post comments on mini blogs and one of the others also has the letter D. as the initial for her last name.  So, mystery solved!  I put my name and location in my sign off just so you know which of us it is!

So - back to things I find inspirational.  I love to look at different architecture in real life to find ideas for things I might like to include in my mini projects.  I am particularly drawn to stonework and to unique doors or windows.  As such, I have collected a number of pictures over the last several years - and don't lie to me - I know you all do it too!

This is a picture I found of an incredible entry door with window above and to the side.  I just love, love, love this door and go back to the picture often.  I have never figured out what project a door like this would be appropriate for but I am now thinking perhaps I should just make the door itself into a small wall-hanging, framed piece.  I will definitely give this one a try one of these days!


Another picture I have that I dream about duplicating some day is, of course, of a stone exterior - very European looking.  I'm thinking probably Spanish?  Anyway, I love everything about this.  I would include the slant to the cobbled street, the terracotta pots filled with plants, the bougainvillea, even the downspout.  In my mind everything works together to make a beautiful, warm and welcoming vision.



I also love this beautiful entry courtyard that I found on the "magic puzzles" I used to get on my computer.  Doesn't it look cool and cozy?



All this to say that there is inspiration all around us - way too many inspirations given the time we have to work but just think of the hours of fun we can have trying to bring them to life in miniature.

I would love to hear where everyone else finds their inspiration.  What makes your heart sing when looking at it or when thinking about it and want to recreate it in miniature? 

So, while I finish off Louise's birthday gift, I find myself with lots to think about.  I want to finally finish off the North Pole Postal Service and start something new but, in the meantime, I read on Maureen H.'s blog that the Edmonton miniatures club is having a trash to treasure challenge with entries due on April 6th.  
Even though the challenge is for her club members as there is a prize for someone at the end, I thought perhaps some of us out there might want to give such a fun idea a try as well.  If so, we could send our pictures to Maureen just for fun instead of actually entering the challenge.  I think it would be a great way to show just how connected our mini community is.  To find out how her club is running this challenge you can go to this post on her site:  http://stalbertmini.blogspot.com/2021/03/hello-again-good-to-be-back.html 

Basically you have a list of 35 "trash" items and you have to use your choice of 25 of them to produce your "treasure".  I think it sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to get some of us motivated and to get our thinking caps on.  Anyone else in??

Now I will let you go to think about that last little challenge.  I think I am going to try it out myself and will send Maureen pictures at the end.  Thank you MEE for such a great idea!  TTFN!!! - Marilyn


20 comments:

  1. Oooh I've seen that door too! Gorgeous. Maybe once I've gotten better with my Cricut I could try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh - my Cricut!!! I didn't even think of that! I really do need to view a lot more online tutorials on my Cricut Maker because I am definitely not making use of it like I should be. Thank you for reminding me, Sheila. And - I agree - that door is truly gorgeous and unique. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. All of the inspiration photos are beautiful and would make amazing miniatures. I especially love the stone exterior and terracotta pots filled with plants...could easily see this one done as the exterior to a villa in Tuscany. Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be beautiful, Alayne! And so much fun to do as well. So many projects, so little time. *sigh* Let's at least enjoy dreaming about them all. *smile* - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. That door is amazing, Marilyn, and definitely deserves a vignette! All of them do, and would be so much fun! Inspiration projects are always the most fun for me and seem to simply and magically come together. Strike while the iron is hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jodi - I should definitely strike while the iron is hot. The only problem is that I have so many irons in the fire, I'm not sure which one to strike with!!! As per usual, I will eventually just go with whatever direction the wind takes me! Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. That is an amazing door, I would like to see what's behind it! I like doors too and have a few images which I've been meaning to put into a blog post for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Polly - please do! I would love to see that blog. I chuckled when you said you would like to see behind that door. That is exactly the first thought I had when I saw it. If the door is this unique, what does the inside look like? I would be really interested in seeing that too! Again - please do share your inspiration pictures. Because, of course I don't have enough to inspire me already!!! There's always room for more. Hugs - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Esas fotos de inspiración son preciosas en especial la puerta!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me alegra que también te gusten, Isabel. Puedo pasar horas buscando fotos de arquitectura en Internet y encontrando nuevas ideas. ¡Qué tesoro de inspiración! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the shout-out. I am SO enjoying this challenge. I had forgotten how much fun it is to make things from scratch. If anyone takes you up on this and mails me a picture, we would be glad to include their project in the Trash to Treasure section of our online show in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little group has never done a challenge like this and I am really looking forward to it. I'm gathering my materials now! Thanks for the suggestion, Maureen! - Big hugs - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. La puerta se ve increíble! También yo la encontré un día buscando inspiración y guardada la tengo. Cuando salgo de paseo o voy de vacaciones, nunca me desprendo de mi cámara de fotos, nunca se sabe cuando algo va a llamar tu atención, para intentar miniaturizar o simplemente para recordar. Por supuesto que internet es increíble para encontrar inspiración, tus fotos lo demuestran!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Yo hago lo mismo, Pilar! Me aseguro de tener mi teléfono conmigo en todo momento porque hay tantos hermosos ejemplos de arquitectura o paisaje que me encantaría poder replicar, en su totalidad o en parte. ¡Qué mundo tan inspirador vivimos! Grandes abrazos, Pilar. - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Hi Marilyn, thanks for visiting Ann's Dollhouse Dreams. Yes I pick big projects. I've done one boombox for my little grandson. This will be my last big project--I hope. The challenge sounds so interesting. I am trying to think of all the trash items that I use--not many. Little containers. I used the creamer containers given at cafes for metal trash cans for chicken feed in my chicken coop. They are perfect. And I've used those individual jelly containers for baskets. I'll keep thinking. Great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann - yes, I know what you mean. I don't think I use a lot of trash to treasure items when I make my minis but, when I look at the 35 items in Maureen's list, I realize I do use a lot of them regularly - card stock, computer paper, toothpicks, egg cartons, tea or coffee grounds as landscaping soil, scrap fabric...it's actually a long list when you think about it. It is fun to look at something from a different standpoint, isn't it? I think I will enjoy taking part in this challenge even though the end "prize" is for a member of Maureen's club. That doesn't lessen the fun though! Maybe you'll join us? Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. Wow, your inspirations are very inspirational! And believe me, I hear them calling your name, they want you to recreate them in miniature! ;O) They appear to be perfect for relief projects in a frame and I hope one day you'll make a start with building the first of them.

    But participating in that Trash-to-Treasure project sounds like a lot of fun too... so have fun finding the things on the list and turning them into something awesome.

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I do too, Birgit. But I would have to gain a lot more confidence than I currently have to tackle that doo - as much as I love it.
      My little group of 3 have started the T2T Challenge and, yes, it actually is quite fun trying to think of ways to fit 25 of the list of items into a project - and nothing that is not on the list! It forces our minds to leave the comfort of our little boxes, if even for a little while. I hope the result turns out well! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  10. I am a former member..20 years ago now of the Moncton Club. I am currently getting ready to dispose of rest of my collection. Is there a site that local miniatures are sold. I have a variety of items as well as a cabin made in Maine and a Marx metal house from the 50’s. I have a lot of books and magazines( Nutshell news, miniature collector !etc. )from the old days of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if there is anyone in this area who handles sales of a miniature collection. You could put things up on the local on-line yard sales or Kiji but would probably not get as much as you would like. Have you thought of asking and auction house to auction off the collection for you? Sorry I couldn't be much help but will ask around and get back to you if I hear anything. - Marilyn D.

      Delete