Wednesday 31 March 2021

T2T Challenge - It's been a long day

 How is it possible that little teeny things take so long to make???  Whatever the reason, this has the potential to be a long post - but I will make it reasonably short for you instead.

Before I update you on the progress of my T2T project - a Parisian balcony scene, I will provide a list of the items that were allowable and we'll see if I managed to use a minimum of 25 of the 35 items:

1. 4 feathers  - used a couple in the plant pot on the shelf unit

2. 10 Beads - 6 for the door handles, 2 as decoration in the door pediment, one in the pedestal for the bird bath, and one to make a teapot.

3. 3 cotton balls - I used 1 to provide volume inside the chair seat and back.

4. 10" sq wrapping paper -  did not use

5. Eraser - made a double bird house

6. 5 stir sticks, popsicle sticks or tongue depressors - used long tongue depressors for balcony railing

7. Small box (no side longer than 3") - used top for the frame of the shelf unit and bottom for the shelves

8. 2 stickers - used to look like buckles on the yoga mat

9. 4 bottle caps (any size) - used 1 for the bird bath and 3 for the chair-side table

10. Greeting card - used a small portion of the plain back of a card to make the tea cup and part of the cover for the teapot

11. 6" fun foam sheet - used for the yoga mat and a small birdhouse in the shelving unit.  Used small strips as frame around the mirror/tray (painted it black), used around base of birdbath

12. 6" Felt square - used a small piece for a cushion

13. 6 Toothpicks - used the tops of 2 decorative toothpicks for the drawer handles in the side table and as part of the teapot cover.  Used lower parts for stems for the flowers.  Used 2 others as handles for the garden tools.

14. 2 sheets of paper (8.5 x 11) - used one for the French doors and one for the apartment interior.  I printed a box of fertilizer and some seed packets and leaves to the side of the apartment picture since it didn't take up the whole sheet of paper

15. 1 full sheet of cardstock (any colour) - I used a dark green cut into strips as "siding" on the balcony walls.  Yes, I am aware that this type of siding would be very unusual for downtown Paris but - you work with what you have!

16. 4 Q Tips - used the sticks to support the acetate panels of the balcony railing

17. 3 Thumb Tacks or Push Pins (any type) - used wooden push pins as part of the pedestal for the bird bath.  Used two of the pins I pulled out as perches in the double birdhouse.

18. 6" length of ribbon or lace - used a narrow suede trim as straps around the yoga mat.

19. 2 Toothpaste caps (or any toiletry lid) - plant pot in shelf unit

20. Small mirror (under 2") - used as a tray for the teapot and cup

21. Tea Bag or coffee grounds - soil in planter and in garden

22. 6" Sq fabric (any print or solid) - penelope cloth for the faux "rattan" chair

 23. 2 Paper or binder clips (any size/type) - used white coated paper clip for the door handles and the teapot handle and spout. Used regular metal paper clip to make tines for the garden cultivator

24. 6 Straight Pins - did not use

25. A Napkin/paper towel - used instead of fabric on the seat and back cushions for the chair

26. 2 Straws - used paper straws as uprights for the balcony railing

27. 2 Pipe cleaners - used for the celosia flowers and for the greenery in the garden

28. 1 Styrofoam or paper 8 oz cup - used to make the barrel chair

29. 1 Lid from yogurt/sour cream container - used to contain the balcony garden

30. 2 nut shells (pistachio, walnut, peanut) - did not use

31. Aluminum foil 2-inch square - used to make the garden trowel

32. 6-inch square of sandpaper - cut into blocks for the wall on either side of the French doors

33. 1 Egg carton - covered the frame around the French doors, used as patio stones, used as a book cover.

34. 6-inch square of foam core - used to build up pediment and door trim, small piece inside book 

35. 5 sequins - used one as part of the top to the teapot.

Bonus supply from stash - piece of acetate for the "glass" in the French doors and in the balcony railing.  Also small piece to simulate water in the birdbath.

 So, I guess I used enough of the items listed.  Here are some of pictures of how they were used:

You already saw in last week's post how I had made the French doors, so this is how I finished that wall.

I cut a decorative shape for a pediment over the door out of my piece of foam core.  I cut two

 pieces so I could stack them, then I cut out a layer so I could insert a couple of fleur-de-lis beads I had.  Once I glued them in place I covered the whole thing (except the beads) in egg carton.  Then I cut short four  strips to go part way down the sides of the door, 2 single strips, and two strips of egg carton.  This gave me a stepped-down profile for the door surround.  


Once I had all of the pieces covered in egg carton, I painted them all with a Ceramcoat colour called "putty".   The I used a gentle hand to pounce on a darker brown, a caramel colour and a bit of white. Here are the colours I used to simulate the granite stone.  Yes, I know - I am definitely the messiest miniaturist you've ever seen!





Once these dried I glued them in place.  Then I cut my square of 150-grit sandpaper into 1 inch wide strips and glued these on the rest of the wall to look like granite blocks.  I went on to paint them the same as the door frame, which you will see in the final pictures.  


I then turned my attention to the balcony where I ran a stylus around the pieces of egg carton floor to look more like the spaces between stone blocks pieces, and painted these as well.  Now it was time to build the balcony railing.  

I used one of my paper straws to cut into 1/4" spacers which would go between the horizontal railings.  I used the other one to cut into 2" posts.  I split 3 of my tongue depressors into 1/4" strips to use for the horizontal pieces and also for the 2" vertical pieces that would support the acetate "glass".  I glued 2" pieces of Q-tips to the supports to provide the lip on which the acetate would be glued. 


Once I put all the pieces together I dry fit them to the balcony and discovered that, once the chair was in place, because of the railing it stuck out a wee bit so I couldn't close the box.  I then very carefully whittled out the bottom rail in the top portion of the railing until the chair would slip in and the box would close.  Then I painted the whole assembly black, like wrought iron. Yes, again I know you would not likely see such a modern railing like this in a downtown Parisian apartment.  They have beautifully ornate railings that have been around for hundreds of years.  With the materials I was allowed to use, I wasn't able to replicate one of those railings but...some day...

So - I know I was supposed to show you the finished project tonight but there a still a few things to be finished up in the garden area.  I will be busy tomorrow but I will definitely be able to post the final items I made, and show you the overall finished piece on Good Friday - just in time to wish all of you the very best Easter, or whatever spring celebration is special to your family.

So sorry for yet another delay but - I will be back on Friday!  TTFN!!! - Marilyn

12 comments:

  1. Me encanta la forma que va tomando el balcón!!!
    Feliz Pascua!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Pilar. Tú también tienes Feliz Pascua. Abrazos. - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Your T2T is coming along brilliantly. I'm looking forward to see it complete with balcony.Happy Easter to you and yours!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one more day and it will be complete! Happy Easter to you and your family as well. - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. A lovely idea to create an outdoor Paris scene...it seems as if you have been able to wonderfully utilize so many of the items on the list in the project...delightful! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alayne. It has been a fun project that has forced me to expand my creative thinking again. A good exercise to repeat once a year just to keep the juices flowing! Have a wonderful Easter. - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Lo que has hecho hasta ahora me encanta.
    Estoy deseando ver el resultado final.
    Feliz Pascua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Eloisa. Espero que les guste el resultado final. ¡Vuelve mañana por la noche y estará listo! Feliz Pascua para ti y tu familia también. Abrazos. - ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Marilyn, you've done an incredible job so far. Am really looking forward to seeing the final reveal. Happy Easter.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maureen. I will send you some photos directly later on this evening so you can have them to share with your club members. I look forward to seeing what everybody came up with too! - Marilyn D.

      Delete
  6. Ha quedado muy bien esa portada de piedra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel. Fue una de mis partes favoritas. Me alegro de haber terminado ahora y volveré a mi Servicio Postal. ¡Felices Pascuas! - Marilyn

      Delete