Tuesday 16 March 2021

Happy Birthday, Louise!!

 Yesterday was Louise's birthday so I finally get to show you what I made for her.  But first......

(I know - I truly am a pain in the neck, aren't I?)

I hadn't mentioned it earlier but, back in the December issue of Dollshouse and Miniature Scene, my small Christmas shelf was featured.  They had apparently noticed the North Pole Postal Service and wanted to have that in the December issue but, at the time, I knew there wasn't a hope I had enough time to finish it before then.  So I offered them this first little Christmas project.  


 
I showed the whole process of making the shelf in posts that can be found under the label "Christmas Shelf" in the list on the right - or clicking on the label at the end of this post.

The second thing I wanted to mention is that I have been encountering an interesting issue caused by my Norton security application.  For some reason it doesn't seem to like blogger because when I try to link to another person's blog to read the latest entries, it blocks it and tells me that the site contains possible malicious material that could be harmful to my computer.  Then it gives me the option to "submit a dispute".  I am slowly working through the ones I visit most often and submitting disputes to Norton.  I label the material as "art/culture" because it is the closest category they provide for it, then add the comment that it is a blog about the art of making dollhouse miniatures and does not contain malicious material.  A few days later I get a confirmation from Norton stating that my dispute has been reviewed and the site has been recategorized as a safe site.  Eventually I hope to have Norton acknowledge all of your sites as safe so I can actually leave comments on them.  I am slowly making my way through each one!  Security software can be so finicky!

Thirdly...Louise's birthday pressie!!!!

Louise is currently building a replica of the large farmhouse she and her siblings grew up in.  For her birthday, I decided I would make something for her farmhouse but every time I thought of something to make, I would get a text from her saying "Look what I just finished!"  Every piece she made - washing machine, stove, sofa and chair, cupboards, etc. was beautifully made and captured the 1950s period perfectly - I'm sure much better than I could have done!   I was getting desperate trying to figure something out when I found out that she had ordered several window boxes online for her farmhouse, only to find out that they were too large for her windows.  Also - I know how much Louise hates to make flowers so how would she have filled them anyway?  Now I had the right gift!

Her farmhouse has eight windows that needed window boxes so first I made and painted the boxes, then got started on filling them.  I glued small round Paperclay balls on the end of floral wire to act as the base for geranium flower heads.  I painted the balls a deep rose colour so, if there were any spaces showing between the tiny florets, they would not really be noticeable.  Then I started adding the teeny florets.  Each flower head took between 30 and 36 florets which each had to be shaped before being glued on.  Each window box contained 2 geranium plants with 3 flower heads in each (x 8 window boxes).  Okay - - you can do the math.  I then shaped and glued two leaves on each flower stem and added 3 individual leaves to the plant before adding the remaining flowers.  Here are some pictures of the process.

The window boxes in their assembly line:


The flower heads in process:


The leaves on the left have had a coloured margin added to them (before shaping them) as do real geraniums (really these are pelargoniums as true "geraniums" actually refers to a perennial plant which does not have coloured margins on their leaves and the flowers are different as well)


AND THE FINAL PRODUCT (or 5 of them at least):





So, my dear friend, Louise - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!  There are two things I need you to remember:

1. You are my "bestie" and I love you to bits! and
2. You'll always be older than me!!!! *smile*

So, with Louise's birthday over for another year - I'm off to finish the T2T Challenge which you'll see more about next Tuesday.  My wish for everyone- stay safe, stay healthy, and keep on mini-ing!  TTFN!!! - Marilyn


26 comments:

  1. The window boxes are charming and cheerful, and I am sure that Louise was very happy not to have to fill any! I notice the geraniums are, dare I say it, flamingo-coloured? The millwork on the boxes adds a special touch. And congratulations on the DHMS article, it is in the issue Louise loaned me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marijke. Yes, I did choose a deep pink colour for the geraniums for specifically that purpose! I doubt that there were any flamingos around her farmhouse when she was growing up so at least she can have the colour of flamingos in the window boxes. *smile*. Big hugs. - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Que regalo tan bonito! Las jardineras llenas de geranios se ven espectaculares con sus flores abundantes y de un color tan vivo! Louise estará encantada con ellas!!
    Vi tu artículo en la revista, enhorabuena!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Pilar. Louise odia hacer flores, así que creo que estaba particularmente agradecida de que las jardineras de las ventanas vinieran ya plantadas. Creo que le darán un toque agradable a su granja. Grandes abrazos. - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Felicidades por tu articulo, muy merecido pues tus trabajos son muy minuciosos. Es muy engorroso los bloqueos de blogs, a mi me sale con mucha frecuencia, paciencia.
    Las Jardineras te han quedado de lujo y lo mejor hechas por ti de principio a fin, Louise estará muy feliz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, Rosa, pero debo admitir que no siento que mi trabajo sea tan bueno cuando miro las increíbles piezas que están haciendo tantos artistas en miniatura que han estado trabajando en este campo durante muchos años. Soy un verdadero trabajo en progreso pero estoy disfrutando el proceso de aprendizaje. Louise ciertamente parece feliz con ellos y eso es lo que más cuenta. Estoy de acuerdo con usted: este bloqueo de blogs desde nuestras aplicaciones de seguridad de Internet se vuelve muy tedioso después de un tiempo. Oh, bueno, ¡seguimos trabajando para solucionarlo! Bendiciones! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Such happy window boxes! And congratulations on the article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you said that, Sheila because that is exactly the sentiment I was hoping to convey with the arrangements in these window boxes. I can't think of a flower that doesn't make me smile but geraniums have to be the cheeriest! Thank you for your comments on the article. I hope to be able to provide them with the North Pole Postal Service for next year's December issue. Enjoy the emerging spring weather. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Marilyn let me just start off by saying... If Louise ever abdicates her throne as "Bestie" I'd like to be in the running as her replacement! You are so incredibly thoughtful about exactly what she loves and needs it's amazing! The flower boxes are not only perfect, they are over the top in detail even before you put those incredible flowers into them! What a marvelous gift! I can't help but think her progress on the farm house is going to speed up just so that she can get the walls up and windows in to have a look at theses gorgeous boxes where they'll live. She must be over the moon!

    And congratulations on being published in Dollshouse and Miniature Scene! That adorable Christmas shelf is going to be the inspiration behind untold Christmas themed projects! I hope you'll get to share the post office project when it's finished, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi for such encouraging words. By the way - I have met so many wonderful people since I have started with this hobby that I feel like each and every one of you are dear friends. I am truly blessed to have gotten to know each of you through our online discussions. What a wonderful group of people.
      As for the article on my Christmas shelf - I hope you are right as the reason I chose that one to share is so that people who may not have taken the plunge into this hobby yet can be encouraged to see how much can be done with just a little wall shelf. There is no need to have a large dollhouse or complicated project in order to really enjoy this hobby. I'm so glad I finally took the plunge myself! Big hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the article. And belated Happy birthday to Louise. I wish she had a blog so we could follow her work as what I have seen over the years is wonderful. And those flower boxes are just perfect. What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maureen. Actually, Louise did start a blog a few months ago although she has been so busy she hasn't posted a lot yet but she has gotten started! Yes, she is very talented and I've been happy to share some of her work here on my blog from time to time. She deserves credit for the great work she does. You can find her at https://miniflamobsession.blogspot.com/ if you're interested.
      I'm planning on finishing up my T2T Challenge project this weekend. Thank you so much for encouraging us to give it a try. God Bless! - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Oh Marilyn, I'm in awe of your window boxes, they are gorgeous, delightful. I like the bevelling (is that the correct word?) instead of a plain straight front. I'm sure Louise loves them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly. Yes, Louise seems very happy with them - especially since the geraniums are flamingo coloured! The detail on the front is actually two different trims. I made the boxes from tongue depressors which are just a little wider than a standard door molding (the kind with those three ridges on one side, flat on the other). Then, because the tongue depressor is wider, I was able to fit a small square strip of wood above the door trim. I did like how they turned out and may have to use that style again for myself. Have a great day of mini-ing! Hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Louise va a sentirse feliz con esos preciosos geranios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, Isabel, parece muy feliz con ellos. ¡Creo que está especialmente feliz de que sean del color de sus flamencos favoritos! ¡Salud! - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. These window boxes are gorgeous! I'm sure Louise is over the moon happy to have them.
    I also love the T2T challenge and am eager to see your version.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora. She does indeed seem to be happy with them. I hope to have my T2T Challenge mostly finished by this coming Tuesday's post. I hope I can make it look like what is in my head - always a big challenge in itself! Hugs! - Marilyn

      Delete
  10. Best wishes to Louise - her new life year starts the best way it ever could: With a wonderful gift which captures pure beauty in miniatures being made from a caring friend. And congrats to you for being published in this magazine, how exciting and so well deserved. It's always amazing how much generosity is in our community where sharing how-to's and inspirations is very common.

    Fingers crossed for your anti-virus helper to be more helpful soon!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Birgit, I will pass along your best wishes to Louise when I see her today. Yes, one thing that struck me when I started doing minis back in 2014 was just how generous our community is with their time, talent and advice. I am so grateful to all of you who have taught me so much over the last few years. My big thanks and big hugs to all of you. God bless! - Marilyn

      Delete
  11. You deserve the write-up. The flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really enjoy making flowers even though they are quite tedious. The end result always makes me smile and I feel they add so much to any scene we are creating. Yes, even dried up weeds and dead leaves add a lot to a scene of an old derelict building. Nature is everywhere around us so of course it makes sense to include it in our projects. Have a great day making minis! - Marilyn

      Delete
  12. Congrats on the magazine article! The flowers and boxes are going to be a nice touch for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Troy. It's always great to get a chance to share our work with others, after the time we put into them. As for the window boxes - I planned them as summer flower displays but, here's a secret: I built the flowers into a removable insert so they could be carefully removed to change to a fall, winter or spring display. I always like to have options! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  13. The window boxes are STUNNING! Louise must be so pleased with her gift. Clever you, quietly making them and keeping your secret until the right day. I would have been bursting to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise loves her window boxes, Megan - but I still have a few to finish for her. Personally, geraniums are my favourite for little arrangements like this - and in real life too. They're always so cheerful looking. Hope you're having a great day. - Marilyn D.

      Delete