Tuesday 23 March 2021

Trash to Treasure Throw down Take Two

 I would have said "Challenge" but it just didn't work with the alliteration I had goin' on there.

So, as I am sure you guessed by now, I have not finished my T2T piece yet - but I do have until April 6th!  I really need to stop overthinking things!

Marijke finished her piece which you can see on her blog at Pulchinella's Cellar.  It's a wonderful little mid-century modern piece and I just love it - especially the mirror on the wall.  I want one of those for real!

Louise also finished hers but has been so very busy getting her house ready to go on the market that she has not been blogging so I promised I would show a couple of pictures of her end product.  It depicts a wind-swept derelict shack on the beach that has been blown over by a big storm.  The flamingos have now taken over (of course!) and there is a little site set up where someone has obviously been taking shelter under the side of the tipped over shack.



On the back of her piece she pasted a list of the T2T items she used to make her scene.


It is truly amazing what a person can do with just little bits and bobs of things, isn't it?

As for my entry - sadly I feel like I got very little done this week.  Well, I did do a lot of thinking and changing my mind on ideas, as usual.

The easiest thing to show you is my little eraser project.  I used a white/blue eraser for something to add interest to one of the balcony walls (once I install it!)


I angled the top of the eraser, painted the whole thing green - although that colour might change before my project is finished - added two little roof portions that I painted a terracotta colour, used two of the pins I pulled out of the push pins I used for the base of the bird bath, to act as perches, and added two dots of black for entrance holes.  And there was my bird house for my balcony.  Child's play!


On to bigger and better things!  

I mentioned in my last post that, on the inside cover of the book box I am using to house my project, I wanted to post a picture of an apartment interior and maybe add some French doors that one could imagine lead from the apartment to the balcony scene I will be creating.  I chose a picture from the internet and used one of my allowable pieces of computer paper to print it out.  Since I did not need the whole sheet to print out the size I wanted I made sure to take advantage of the blank space on the page to also print out some leaves that I could use in my corner garden on the balcony.

The other piece of computer paper would be used to simulate French doors.  I still had a "free" supply item I could choose from my stash so I chose a piece of acetate to act as "glass" inside the French doors.  Here I am, just getting started.  I have drawn an outline of the faux doors I planned on making.


Okay - it's at this point that I think I lost my mind.  I must write on the blackboard 500 times "I will not obsess over the tiniest of details!"  

I cut out the basic door shape then, in my addled thinking, I thought I could add layers of paper to frame out each section to provide more detail in the final product.  I painstakingly cut out 1/4" strips and glued them around the two doors, the windows in the doors and the transom window above the door.  Then I cut out 1/8" strips and centred these on all of the 1/4" strips to make it look like a stepped trim.  I didn't have enough paper to make more than one layer of each size but, when I was finished adding a double layer molded panel to the bottom panels, I thought it all looked pretty good!  Here it is in process:


Now, I know there are many of you out there chuckling right now because you already know what happened next, don't you?  Of course, I painted the whole thing and let it dry.  That was when I realized that, because the paper was so thin, once the paint hit it, it all became a single layer with no definition whatsoever.  Do you have any idea how long it took me to trim that all out?????

Well, not to be deterred, having come this far, I got out my trusty Crayola pencils and started adding definition and shading to try to make the doors have a little bit of personality.  I used a light brown and a dark brown to add the shading and outline some of what should have been the architectural features.  It may not have been what I had in mind at the start but I think it turned out okay in the end.


So now I needed to add the "glass", attach the picture behind the doors and make some handles.  For the handles I used a total of 6 of my ten beads and small pieces of a white coated paperclip.  Okay, the handles may be a little wonky but, in the end, people will be looking at the balcony, not the door, right???


So, here is the finished door along with the chair I made last week and the little bird house I made earlier this week.  Take a quick look then I will point out a couple of things that truly confirms how ridiculously focussed I can be on the teeniest of things.  Man, this b&%ch be crazy!!!


Why do I think I must be crazy??  Because I cannot let the little things go, even for a simple T2T challenge.  When I covered the chair cushions with the napkin paper I had, I looked at the colours in the napkin and really could not allow myself to just make things randomly.  They all had to tie in with the fabric or some other part of the overall design. So, even though no one other than me will probably notice, the roof of the birdhouse perfectly picks up the orange/terracotta colour in the chair fabric, and the green as well.  I chose this particular picture of an apartment interior because the colour of the floor also picks up the colour as does the terracotta coloured leather chair in the room.  The corner of the sofa you can just see on the left inside the French doors picks up the lighter beige-yellow colour in the balcony chair cushion.  It would have driven me absolutely crazy if these things didn't tie in to each other.  What is wrong with me???  Is there any cure out there for this madness??? *sigh*

Well, hopefully my madness isn't contagious but, then again, I'm very suspicious I may have caught it from some of you perhaps????  Oh well, we'll all be good company for each other.  So, I'll be off now with hopes that I will have the finished project to show you next Tuesday.  Stay safe, stay healthy!  TTFN!! - Marilyn

26 comments:

  1. Louise has outdone herself! What an original and fun T2T vignette! Tell her congrats on a fine job and Godspeed on getting the house ready for sale. That is SO MUCH WORK!

    Your birdhouse is not just clever, but totally adorable! And the French doors and apartment perspective view behind it is brilliant! I know having done all the trim work only to have it disappear was disheartening, but I can't think of a more clever solution than getting artistic on it with pencils! Your shading is fabulous!!!

    As for having all of the elements coordinate with the fabric color palette... It's stuff like that us mini nuts live for! And while no one may know whether or not they consciously notice a thing like that, when it comes to color cohesiveness and symmetry, our brains know a good design when we see it! Fine work, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass your congrats on to Louise for her humorous flamingo vignette. Yes, getting the house ready for sale has cut down on her time to mini. Now, that's just not right!

      And thank you for such kind words, Jodi. You're always such a sweetie and so very encouraging. I am satisfied with the door now but I sure was upset after I first painted it and realized all that work I did with the trim was absolutely useless. If I had more paper to use I would have glued more layers together but...I guess that's why it's called a "challenge". *smile* I'm ready to carry on with the rest now. Next week I should have a completed scene to show. Fingers crossed. Big hugs coming your way! - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Preciosa escena de Louise! Y tu sí que has trabajado aunque pienses lo contrario! las puertas francesas te han quedado muy bien y todos los tonos combinan perfectamente. La pajarera ha sido una fantástica idea, me gusta mucho como se ve!
    Buen trabajo.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Pilar por tu aliento y amables palabras. También le pasaré tu mensaje a Louise. Cuando miro a la puerta esta mañana, me alegro de haber coordinado los colores hasta ahora. Parecen fluir bien entre sí, así que espero estar en el camino correcto. ¡Que tengas un maravilloso día de primavera! Abrazos, amigo. - Marilyn

      Delete
  3. I love how it looks. And you're not the only one who gets...fixated on certain things.

    I like to say that minis are one hobby where being OCD comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Sheila!! For years before I started making minis my family accused me of Having OCD. Just because I have to arrange my cupboards by size and colour and I have to rearrange the items in the dishwasher because they're just not right - I don't understand what they mean!

      I am grateful to have found the mini community because there are so many of us OCD - or perhaps "Type A Personality" - people out there. And we're such great company, too!!! Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Oh,my,I am totally blown away by what the three of you have done with the T2T challenge. My efforts are so blah in comparison. What a treat to see such imagination. Wish you were closer so we could get together in person. Big hugs, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Maureen - wouldn't that be awesome!! Maybe you'll have to come East for a visit again some day. Or better yet, I could come your way and get to meet all the awesome members of your club. Here there are just a few of us who get together but we're grateful to at least have that! I'll get the pictures of my finished project to you by Tuesday, I hope. Big hugs, Maureen! - Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Muy buena idea la goma de borrar como pajarera.
    La puerta ha quedado genial, ha valido la pena el esfuerzo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Eloisa. Esa puerta fue muy frustrante, pero al final resultó bien, ¡así que supongo que eso es lo importante! ¡Espero que estés disfrutando de la hermosa primavera! - Marilyn

      Delete
  6. What a neat challenge! So neat to see what your creative minds have come up with!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Fran, and thanks for dropping by. We have all been having fun with this challenge and allowing ourselves to think a little further outside the box. So, this evening I am looking forward to popping over to your blog and having a peek! I love finding new blogs I haven't visited before. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Increíble lo que se puede hacer con materiales que se tienen en casa, pero ahí está la imaginación y tu has demostrado que la tienes. Genial la puerta y se ve que tu desafío va avanzando satisfactoriamente. Cuídate, besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Rosa. Tengo que admitir que nunca me faltan ideas. Es la ejecución la que no siempre funciona. Pero creo que nunca aprenderíamos y avanzaríamos si no cometiéramos errores de vez en cuando. ¡Al paso que voy, debo estar aprendiendo mucho! Grandes abrazos. - Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Wow! Give a miniaturist a challenge is all he needs for his creativity to be at its best. Your balcony scene is simply stunning!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you so much, Drora. I know we all work on our minis because we love this hobby but it is heartwarming to receive such wonderful praise from others who understand the work that goes into it. Much appreciated! - Marilyn

      Delete
  9. What a great idea to make a beautiful birdhouse, I didn´t see it coming! and the result is terrific. I also like your doors very much, I think the final touches you gave make it look very charming and realistic. I get what you say about obsessing with tiny details, I have my little obsessions as well, thankfully It doesn´t cover everything, I can totally live with certain things and drive myself crazy with others. By the way, what a clever idea and fun project to make a scene just out of ordinary items. Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alexandra, this has been a great challenge to try. Even though my friends and I here in New Brunswick are not "eligible" for the competition since we live on the other side of the country from the MEE club (Miniature Enthusiasts of Edmonton) it's been so much fun to play along anyway. It has made me expand my imagination in order to stick to only those materials allowed from the list given to us. It's nice to be forced to think outside the box once in a while so we gain a broader perspective and appreciation of all the easily sourced items we all have lying around our homes. Thank you for your kind words - and thank you to MEE for starting us down this road. Cheers! - Marilyn

      Delete
  10. What kind of a miniaturist would you be if you would not pay attention to the details and the little or even tiny things? It's fun to see your progress and your lovely idea how to squeeze out the most input from the things you may use. Turning an eraser into a lovely birdhouse was a brilliant idea. Keep on having fun - and not to forget: Your friend's flamingos-after-the-storm project turned out awesome.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Birgit. My daughter is waiting impatiently for me to finish this so she can have it for her office so I guess I truly do need to have it done before my next Tuesday update. I hope you like the finished project! Have a wonderful weekend. - Marilyn

      Delete
  11. I don't know how I missed this post Marilyn. You saved the door and it turned out fantastic, and the room behind it looks very realistic. What a great idea for the bird house! I'm ocd with my miniatures as well, and I'm always overthinking things. I also rearrange items in the dishwasher after someone else has loaded it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Polly. Yes, if only our minions would learn to load the dishwasher properly, we wouldn't have to rearrange it, would we? Also, the cupboards! I must admit, it's the little things that really let my OCD tendencies shine through. Like when my DH puts the steak knives into the knife block and the handles are not all facing the same direction. Drives me crazy - although I don't tell him because that would give him another opportunity to accuse me of having OCD. *smile*

      Delete
  12. Interesting project, Marilyn. I love the green door. In miniature, I think it is especially important to match up colours and create harmony. Because we see things close together in a small space, it can easily end up looking like a fruit salad :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful analogy, Megan. Fruit salad would describe it well. As Jodi mentioned before, our eyes and brain really notice when things are not cohesive and harmonious and yes, when we work with such small elements, it is jarringly obvious. I hope you like the final result. - Marilyn

      Delete
  13. Love the idea you've come up with.My mind would just never go there!Wow,simply love it.
    Take care,
    Trineke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Trineke. Glad you like the project so far. It's been fun. - Marilyn

      Delete